Thursday, October 27, 2005

B.C., A Red Herring, and a trip South

What's up with B.C.? Did anyone see Wednesday’s (October 26, 2005) "B.C." comic strip? I’ve always like the way Johnny Hart handled religion. Now it appears he’s blending religion and politics and it ain’t looking good for the two Bush’s. In the strip, there is a paved road that leads to hell. Each stone has a saying on it. One guy reads a stone from Bush 41 that says: "Read my lips, no new taxes." The other guy in the strip, a few stones ahead, reads another: "The era of big government is over." Then there is a sign that reads, "Good Intentions End Next 666 feet." The path drops down into a smoldering lake of fire. Wonder what he's saying here? I got a chuckle out of it, although I have to admit that I'm a little uncomfortable with the recent glee I've been taking at the problems in the Bush Administration.

Harriett Miers withdraw herself from consideration for the Supreme Court today… Maybe I’m too cynical, but I had to wonder, "was her name thrown into the mix as a red herring? Was the purpose of her nomination to draw attention away from the unraveling of Bush’s administration?" I don't know. Personally, the most appealing thing about her was her lack of being a supreme court junkie.

For the next eight days, I’ll not worry about American politics. I’ll be tramping around down in the Banana Republics… My bags are packed. I’ll leave tomorrow for Houston and on Saturday morning for destinations further south. Hasta luego.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't see the BC cartoon, but from your description - I would have loved it!

    Have a great time on your vacation and tell us all about it when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly hope you have a good trip. I wondered why in the heck he chose her to begin with. I doubt it was a move of saviness. Heck who knows.

    No. I'm not from Rutherford County. I'm Transylvanian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in San Pedro Sula--waiting to see if a hurricane is going to ruin this trip (like the tropical storm did my last one). We're not going up into the mountains we see what the storm does. I love the countryside down here, and the villages, but can do without the cities even though I have internet access.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miers was an odd choice and very well could have been a distractor nomination. Seems to me the first qualification for being a SC justice would be to have experience as a judge. But that's just me. . . and I can certainly see the benefits of not having a prior seat...although it seems few.

    Katrina ruined our trip to NO and Rita ruined the plans for Waco, TX. We will no longer plan trips to the coastal areas during hurricane season. grrr.

    Hope it works out for you. Take pics and post!

    ReplyDelete