Monday, August 06, 2007

I'm out of here, but you can have my alter ego to kick around


After he lost the election to John Kennedy, Richard Nixon held his final press conference (too bad it really wasn’t his final one) and said, “Boys, you want have Richard Nixon to kick around anymore.” I’m going away—thanks to some of the recent bantering in my blog, Murf has come up with a “Sage Piñata.” Unlike Nixon’s promise, I plan to be back, but until then you’ll have this piñata to kick and take swings. .

I’m heading out of here Monday morning and as this trip is completely vacation, there’ll be no laptop. After a few days of becoming waterlogged in the Wisconsin Dells, we’ll be on the Laura Ingalls trail, hitting Little House on the Prairie shrines (they’re called museums but I’m not so sure) across the Midwest. I almost hate to admit to this trip because one of my faithful stalkers (I mean readers) often calls me Pa Ingalls.

By the way, I never knew the Ingalls family was so mobile—those people lived all over the country and even after driving across five or so states, we’ll not get to them all. But there is a little girl very dear to my heart that I hope will have the time of her life. To make the trip a little more realistic, I may put a plank on her seat so she can feel what it was like to ride on a buckboard.

Unless I get board and find a computer in a public library, a coffee shop, or in the back of a high tech Conestoga Wagon, I’ll check back in around the 15th.

22 comments:

  1. now those are the kind of vacations I love... no contact with the real world and being with your family!

    see you after the 15th!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great trip! The only one of the books I read was Little House in the Big Woods - I hope you get to that museum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a good time, Sage, and since I'll be gone for a lot of the time that you will, I won't mind no new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a fantastic vacation. When I was a little girl, that would have been the ultimate vacation for me, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great trip. Enjoy your vacation, laptop-free. And please spare that little girl the trip with the plank. Unless you are prepared to do it the realistic way yourself. :p
    Again, nice of you to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have fun, Pa. I hope you don't get attacked by any injuns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm afraid to hit it for fear of what might come out :)

    Have a fun, safe vacation, Sage! Say hello to Nellie and Albert if you should run into them. Oh and Mary, too. I've always kinda had a thing for Melissa Sue Anderson.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a great vacation. I hope you have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a great trip and hope your little lady is careful and doesn't get any splinters from that plank! Ouch!

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it sounds like so much fun!!! hope you guys have a great time. can't wait to read all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read every Laura Ingall's book as a kid and would love to do the trip you're doing. I bet your daughter will love it! Stay safe and thanks for the pinata.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - what an awesome trip for you and that special little girl! I read the Wilder books when I was young, and it was the first time I realized the books were always better than TV/movies. Can't wait for you to get back and blog all about it! Be sure to post a pic or two!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the books--not the TV show--and know that you're giving your daughter a vacation she will always cherish

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great picture! But I won't hit. :) Hope your vacation has been great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the Ingalls family slept in more places than George Washington!!

    BTW...I think that Nixon quote was after he lost the Calif Governors election to Pat Brown Sr in 62. His political career was certainly proof the dead do rise

    SAFE TRAVELS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, I'm back, but don't know when I'll get back posting, maybe tomorrow. I have some adventures to share. Mal, I think you're right!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back, Sage. Can't wait to hear about the trip.

    ReplyDelete