Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I'm Back

I had to get another post up. I got tired of taking a beating from Dora.

After nine days of travel and chasing the Ingalls family from Wisconsin to South Dakota, I come back to a bunch of work piled up on my desk and much I’d like to write about but just don’t have time. I’ll get around to it. This was a good trip, from riding the Tornado with my daughter at Great Wolf Lodge’s water park in the Wisconsin Dells, to seeing all the places Laura Ingalls Wilder lived, to watching trains along the Burlington Northern and the Dakota, Minnesota and Eastern lines. By luck, I also got to see the cabin of a favorite author of mine—Aldo Leopold. I’ll write more about it all later. But for now, let me leave you with a couple of pictures.

-The above shot is a replica of the Little House in the Big Woods.
-The second shot is of a Burlington Northern Santa Fe train racing southward along the Mississippi River (south of Pepin WI)
-The third shot is the depot in DeSmet SD, the location of four of Laura Ingalls Wilders books.



13 comments:

  1. Welcome home Sage
    The pictures are lovely
    And you gave your daughter a trip she will long treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get away to a place like that where people are normal and they don't want to sculpt your neck or predict your future when they first meet you...just plain, 'ol country folk from the mom and pop stores.

    Nice pics. I like the first one a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to have you back...go on...unpack and get back with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to take this trip as well as head to Prince Edward Island to see the land of Anne of Green Gables. I may have to pay someone to go with me though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to visit Sand County (a.k.a. Sauk County) someday. I have a well worn edition of a book on that subject too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Pia

    Scarlett, they're good people and there are crazy people just about everywhere

    Thanks Karen

    Maggie, I'm already unpacked--now if I can just catch up with stuff

    Murf, I'd love to visit the maritime islands, but not because of Anne of Green Gables (even though we've read those books and seen those movies too)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ed, When I get around to it, I'll post a picture of his cabin. I only got to see the outside, the Leopold Nature Center only opens it on guided tours on Friday and Saturday (but they allowed me to hike back to it)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your daughter will treasure this trip always.

    Thanks for those beautiful photographs.

    Good to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back, Sage. We missed you at 3WW.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVED Little House in the Big Woods!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back. I got tired of seeing Dora beating you. I cn't wait to hear your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back, Sage. Love the train pic. Look forward to stories about your trip.

    ReplyDelete