Saturday, February 11, 2006

A Movie Review, Late thoughts on the Superbowl & Upcoming thoughts on the Olympics

Thursday night I watched "Maria Full of Grace." This HBO produced movie is about a 17-year-old girl from Columbia who is recruited to be a "mule" or drug runner. Her responsibility is to swallow drugs in plastic capsules and then fly to the United States where the drugs will be recovered after they pass through her body. Of course, the work is dangerous. Carrying the drugs in the body is dangerous (one of her friends die) and the mules have to get through customs and work with ruthless criminals. Yet, Maria and her friend Blanca are not portrayed as criminals, but in a sympathetic light. They are clueless young women with few opportunities, who grasp at an opportunity to make enough money to have a future. Maria is pregnant. As the film progresses, she cares more and more about the baby she's carrying. This movie brings a personal face to the complex problems that fuel underworld activities. I don’t want to give the story away, like I did with my last review. So instead, I’ll just state that the movie is focused and has a strong story line. The language is Spanish, but the DVD version includes English subtitles.

I should state that I enjoyed Sunday’s Superbowl (having lived a few years in Pittsburgh makes me a die-hard 'Stiller fan). Now that football is over, I’ll be watching skiing and ice skating at the Olympics for the next few weeks. I watched part of the opening ceremony last night. Why, I don't know? I found it boring, except that it was an opportunity to give my daughter a geography lesson. And I thought that a great story could be made out of one of the solo athletics from a country who only fields one contender, who is unable to contend because they pull their shoulder out of joint waving their country's flag. (sometimes my mind leads me off in strange directions)

11 comments:

  1. Missed that beautiful movie. Hope they will have a rerun.

    Cheers from Michele!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a very hard time watching that movie---actually got sick afterwards.

    It's very true, and too sad

    Didn't watch a second of the superbowl--not even the commercials or the half time show!

    Am old enough to find camera phones very Maxwell Smart, and young enough to take them for granted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever thought of doing movie reviews professionally? Your reviews are just great to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that sounds like a great movie. I'll have to check it out!
    michele sent me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pia, I agree that the movie is very sad. Although I was glad to be spared the gory what they did to Lucy, what was shown did indicate the ruthlessness of those in the trade.

    Cami, is your newspaper hiring? If I could combine it with food a stint as a food editor, it might be tempting.

    Murf, I haven't seen "The Sea Inside." What is it about?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Murf - signed up for it on Netflix.

    Sage - I really liked that movie and I can't believe people actually can swallow so many of those things. Since you are such a good movie critic, why don't you come up with a list of Sage's picks to post. Kind of like the Seinfeld episod... (said for the benefit of Murf!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ed, I agree, 62 of those packages were a lot to swallow. I get my movies through Netflix and probably watch 2-4 a month--with about 1/2 of them being foreign films. BUt the idea of coming up with my favorite list is enticing. I'll work on it.

    And as I've said before, I've only seen a couple of Seinfield episodes, so I really don't know what you and Murf are talking about there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's probably just as well. My Seinfeld/Simpson Theory hasn't been conclusively proven yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Sage, how are you finding the Olympics? I'm not a big winter sport guy (I ski from time to time and I've snowboarded once) but I sorta get into it when the Olympics comes around. So far I've been following the main, big events and it has been enjoyable. I think I might blog about it in a day or so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Murf, not sure what you're talking about!

    Ed, what is this theory?

    V, formerly tg8, right? I have enjoyed the olympics. Was a little bummed that the USA didn't do better in the downhill. I've skied a lot in my life (lived in a ski resort for three years once), so I fond of the spot. However, I've never been on a snowboard and don't like the way they cut up the hills, but I have to say, it's fun to watch them in the half-pipe. I've seen some of the ice skating, which I also love to watch and am always amazed as the best I can do is to skate in an oval without falling.

    ReplyDelete