Thursday, November 13, 2014

Home Sweet Home

I have shown lots of photos around the island upon which I now reside, but I haven’t shown any of my home here, so let me welcome you to this little getaway.  I love the entry way.  I am not sure what kind of azaleas that bloom in the fall, but there they are.  There are many larger azaleas in the yard and I am sure that in the spring the yard will be wonderful.  There are also a number of large camellias and in a few weeks, they will be providing quite a show (there are 100s of bulbs on each).
Inside, there is a large living area (you are seeing about ½ of it).  Since there is an office with bookcases plus the bookcases at my office at work, plus the bookcases we brought with us, there are more than enough bookcases in this home.  The Harvey Dunn print (The Prairie is my Garden) is one of my favorite.  On the wall to the right is an oil painting by a friend of the Superstition Mountains in Arizona.  I insist there be no TVs in the living room (the same goes for my bedroom).  This fireplace is gas.


Divided from the Living Room by French Pocket doors, the Den is quite comfortable.  This is a wood burning fireplace and on the mantle is a lantern that my granddaddy used around the barn when he cured tobacco with a wood fire and would have to sleep at the barns to keep the heat up throughout the night.  The print is one of the Lost Mountain Store.  To the left of the fireplace is the big screen TV and at the back corner of the den is a wet bar!  That was a luxury I never thought I would enjoy.


I find it ironic that now that I am here, where the temperature seldom drops to freezing, that there are two fireplaces!  I would have enjoyed two fireplaces.   In addition to these rooms, there is a breakfast area, a formal dining room, kitchen, four bedroom (one is used as an office and another is being reserved as a hotel room and it is being booked up for the winter by friends from the great white north), and three and a half baths.  Behind the house (with large doors off the master bedroom, living room and den) is a large deck.  This house is more than we need, but I am going to give it a real workout in mid-December when I invite all my staff and their spouses over for a Christmas party (if everyone comes, we’ll have over 30 people here).  

19 comments:

  1. Sage, your home is lovely! Thanks for tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. Thank you


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

    ReplyDelete
  3. J, you house looks lovely, warm and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's a lot of rooms. Very nice house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely home! I'm so glad you've found such an awesome place to live that suits your work and is good for your family. And completely wonderful that you have friends coming to visit like that. They'll love it around there, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, you may have seen the old store in the painting in the den--I think the store today is a bank, it's in Kennesaw, just northwest of Atlanta

      Delete
  6. A lovely house. Very 70's for space design.
    I think light is what's going to be the greatest buzz and tangible change for you physically. Did you get sun/Vit D blind for a while until your levels climbed.
    Did you paint it when you moved in ?. And check out Rhododendron obtusum 'Christmas Cheer'. What I don't get is how an island on the border between sea and fresh water could possibly grow ericaceous plants at all. Is it possible the island was part of a peat bog in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I did not paint it (do you think i'd paint a wall pink?). Most of the walls were good shape (the master bedroom being the one exception). As for the light, the decade in Michigan was one of suffering from the lack of light after living a decade in the west with 300+ sunny days a year. We are in a secondary "barrier island" as their another island (Wassaw) between us and the ocean and this island is geologically older--but it was never a good island for farming even though there were attempts to raise rice and cotton here.

      Delete
    2. The truth is it's not really pink, more a tangerine.
      Why I asked is it really does look really fresh which had me wondering if you stayed in a hotel while the place was readied.
      So, in a household where women outnumber you, they are truly loving to give you the notion you have any choice of wall colour at all.

      Delete
  7. Looks like you are settling in nicely. I've always loved moving into a new place and figuring out where to put everything. Conversely, I would rather have teeth pulled than to figure out how I'm going to pack everything and get it moved to the new place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an incredibly cozy home, Sage!! Have a wonderful weekend sir.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice house! It looks cozy. Azaleas seem to bloom all year, here in Georgia. I was surprised at it, too, when I arrived last year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a very nice house that will serve you well! Very welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, your color choices are so warm and cozy, and what you've showed us is just beautiful! Sounds like lots of room to enjoy and a very inviting front! Excellent home sweet home! I know those mountains and years ago my grandfather drove us from his house in Florence, AS to Show Low! Beautiful country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, do you mean Florence SC to Shallotte NC? The low country is beautiful!

      Delete
  12. You love your work, like your home, like the weather and love the outdoors there. I'm happy that everything is working out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think Blogger at my comment - ah, just like the good ol' days when I did this a lot.

    So, let's try again.

    WHOAT - you MOVED?!?!?!?!

    I was just thinking of you on my drive this morning, and how I missed my blog friends, so I decided to stop by. Crazy what I found!

    Hope you're enjoying Savannah. Gorgeous city.

    ReplyDelete