Sunday, October 11, 2009

From my journal, 1997

I was ready to get home. My day started long before dawn as I caught the 6:45 AM flight to Salt Lake City, where I had spent the day in meetings. Finally, I was heading home . It was almost 9 PM when the gate attendant finally called my flight and I, along with 20 or 30 others, headed out onto the tarmac to cram into one of those SkyWest Airline cigars, a turbo-prop, the type of plane someone even my size has to duck to get into. My seat was on the right hand side, the row with a single seat. Next to me, across the aisle, was a young girl, maybe three years old. I stashed my briefcase, pulled out a book and began to read, hoping to pass the time quickly on the hour-long flight. The plane took off, climbing up into the night. After getting to our cruising altitude, the flight attendant came by with peanuts. Without looking, in a motion that seems to comes naturally, I tore open my bag. Without looking up from my book, I shook the peanuts into my mouth, downing the bag in no-time flat. The attendant then brought us drinks and I had to stop reading in order to lower the tray. When I did, I noticed the young girl looking over at me. I smiled and she smiled back. “Here,” she said, holding out a peanut. For just a split second I thought about shaking my head, “no.” After all, this peanut was in hands of a toddler and there is no telling where those fingers have been. But then I thought better of it, and took the peanut and said, “Thank you.” She watched me intently as I threw health advisories out the window and popped the peanut in my mouth. She beamed and dug down into her bag and offered me another. I was glad I didn’t squelch her willingness to share.

Murf, in her eternal attempt to keep my humbled, has written a story from the girl's point of view.

18 comments:

  1. I'm glad you didn't squelch her generosity either!! How sweet of her.
    And nice of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, what a sweet little girl! And you were very sweet too, throwing the health advisories out of the window. Sometimes it's worth to take some risks, don't you think so?

    ReplyDelete
  3. God doesn't allow germs to survive the brightness of a child's smile.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine the pleasure on her face!

    I wish to share something here. In our country of different faith and different ethnicity, many people are pretty rigid about not accepting anything edible from people who follow different faith other than theirs. Even now. If any of my pupil offers me anything, I do not refuse as is norm with some teachers. They speak openly about that pupil being of another caste or religion. I only see the love and generosity of the child. Nothing else matters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm suffering from a cold that my daughter had two weeks ago because she insists on kissing me goodnight. The things we do as parents.

    I not only have to crouch but I have to turn my shoulders sideways to get onto those planes. Fortunately, I haven't had to fly in one of them for a few years now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kenju, sometimes I can be nice and then I surprise myself!

    Leni, such risks are always worth it.

    Randall, Beautifully said!

    Gautami, thanks for sharing and I agree with you totally.

    Ed, the reality! Illness strikes... I've had my share of colds from my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done, Sage as I know you to be a sensitive and empathic guy who cares. That short exchange was validating to that child and you made her feel great! You Rock, my friend! Cheers for a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet of her and sweet of you. I'm glad I didn't have to make the decision.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is nothing like a child's delight! and sometimes you can send caution to the wind! thanks for stopping by my devotional blog and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well you can now officially say you've done something Bone would never do :)

    I would've faked it, I think. Or tried to anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to hear her take on this story. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Michael

    Charles, I'm sure you'd made the right decision!

    Daily Panic, kids are wonderful, aren't they...

    Bone, faking is only good on a basketball count

    Murf, thanks for keeping me humble...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Someone has to. It looks like God as appointed me to do the dirty work. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is no immunity from a toddler brother.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gentleman! I think she was amused by your eating habits...

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are a brave and extremely kind man.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to read Murf's take on the story...or "the girl's point of view."

    Btw, you're a brave soul. :)

    ReplyDelete