Friday, September 08, 2006

Book Review: The Alchemist


Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist, translated by Alan R. Clarke (HarperSanFrancisco, 1998)

I think we all have certain goals for our lives. Some of us even believe that we are destined for particular task. Within the Christian tradition, this is often referred to as our calling which isn’t just limited to a calling into the ministry. God calls us to fulfill particular roles. Few of us, however, fulfill our potential. For me, I’m a lot like Calvin (in an old Calvin and Hobbes comic strip) who was so frustrated one day that he complained, “God put me on this world to do a certain number of things. Right now, I’m so far behind, I’ll never die.” What would it look like to completely meet our goals or to fulfill our calling in this life? Brazilian author Paulo Coelho, in his fable The Alchemist attempts to answer such a question.

The Alchemist is about the quest of a Santiago, a young Spanish shepherd, to claim his “Personal Legend.” His sojourner begins with a dream he has while sleeping in an old church that has been long abandoned and now has a sycamore tree growing out of it. Seeking help in interpreting his dream, he visits a gypsy fortune teller. She doesn’t charge him for her services but demands ten percent of the fortune that she says he’ll find. He leaves, thinking he’ll never see her. Later, he runs into an old man who he discovers is a king. He demands ten percent of his flock, up front, to help get him started toward achieving his Personal Legend. At first, he thinks the guy is crazy, but then ponies up ten percent of his flock. All along he’s gathering clues. He risks it all; sells his sheep and heads to North Africa where he’s soon robbed of all his money. Spending a year working for a crystal merchant, he begins to learn how many people have unfulfilled goals in their lives. After saving some money, he continues on his way to the pyramids, traveling by caravan across North Africa. Along the way, he meets a man interesting in alchemy and a girl who is to be the love of his life and finally the Alchemist. He is tested, he’s robbed again, but he finally learns that his treasure is buried back at that church where he had the dream.

This is a simple book. That’s why I refer to it as a fable. On the one hand, the book shows the Santiago making the right decisions when it counts, but he also makes some bad decisions which teach him things he needs to know. Most importantly, he learns that achieving his goal isn’t just up to him. There is a price to pay; yet the universe conspires with him in his quest. He learns to draw on faith from his religion (he’s Christian) but also from the Muslims he meets. He learns from watching the caravan as it winds its way through the desert. He learns from the desert itself (which is one of the reasons I found this book speaking to me.) He learns from the Oasis in which he the caravan stops during a war. With each adventure, Santiago learns another lesson.

This is an easy book to read (I read it in two short sittings). Sit back and enjoy Santiago’s journey. I think I’ll now become a gypsy, for maybe Santiago is right, gypsies are smart for they move around a lot. Or maybe I’ll be like the crystal merchant who never pursued his dream, figuring it was better to dream than to fulfill one’s dream. Stay tuned.

This is the third Coelho book I've read. I also wrote a review of his book, The Pilgrimage.

14 comments:

  1. You've definitely peaked my interest regarding this, and the other books you mention. If I get the time to run out and get it, I will take it on the plane. If not, well - since my husband is staying behind for now I'll have plenty lonely evenings to read.... after I'm done exploring all the hiking opportunities in my immediate surroundings of course... =)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to decide why and can't quite figure it out. Your review makes the book sound both of interest and somewhat repelling at the same time. I'll have to ponder that more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be the fortune teller that you give 10% to!

    I'll have to add this to the 'Books that are going to make me renew my library card' list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be the fortune teller that you give 10% to!

    I'll have to add this to the 'Books that are going to make me renew my library card' list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. tia, for as long of a flight you have, you need a big thick book. My next review will probably be one that you might not finish during the flights--Taylor Branch's, Parting the Waters: America and the King Years 1954-1963 (it's got over 900 pages of text).

    Tim, if you figure it out, let me know, for I am now curious. I liked the book and would be interested if I'm giving off negative vibes about it.

    Murf, are you sure I'd want the forture you directed me to?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm....is forture a mixture of fortune and torture? Quite the Freudian slip.

    You know I have a thing for bald men so you would be in good hands...but the million dollar question is would you trust me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds right up my alley. Great review!
    (Michele sent me!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've loved what i read of him before.. and though i've never gotten around to this one i believe i must.. and will. its only a little dream.. shouldn't be to hard to fulfill after all :)
    thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Murf, any reason to post this twice?

    Alex, what climb?

    Annabelle, you'll enjoy the read

    Keda, what works of Coelho have you read?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blogger God deemed it worthy of double posting, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sage. I don't think it is your fault. Perhaps, it is more personal to me. I think the essence of the book is that the answer to man's pursuit lies at home. And there's a pursuit of mine that I sense I should find where I'm at and yet I'm not. It might have something to do with that. I don't know if I'm making any sense here or not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tim, I don't think that's the essence of the book as he has to leave home to find his treasure back at home! That I can understand, but then I've lived in a lot of places (and have enjoyed them all)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful review. I'll have to add this to my "To Read" list.

    ReplyDelete