Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Plain Heathen Mischief: A Book Review

If you have read my blog for any length of time, you know that Deana often complains that I review books she hasn’t even heard of. I hope to rectify this as I post my third “Southern Summer Reading Challenge” book review. I’m sure Deana has read this book; I suspect she even helped edited it as she is married to the author. (In case I’m badly mistaken and Deana hasn’t read the book, I’m sure she won’t admit it!)


Martin Clark, Plain Heathen Mischief (New York: Alfred Knopf, 2004), 398 pages.

The Reverend Joel Clark has lost everything. The pastor of Roanoke’s First Baptist Church pleads guilty to having sex with Christy, a 17 year old parishioner. He’s sent to jail for six months. When he gets out, he’s served with divorced papers from his wife and a lawsuit from Christy, who is looking to receive five million for her emotional damages. With his world crumbling, he left with only one loyal friend, Edmond, who picks him up when he’s released and takes him to his sister’s house in Missoula, Montana. On the way, they stop to see Sa’ad X Sa’ad, Edmond's Las Vegas lawyer friend (Las Vegas, Edmond assures Joel, is just a little detour on the way from Virginia to Montana). Both guys are flim-flam men. They offer Joel a stake in an insurance scam. The disgraced preacher at first rejects the temptation, but when he’s unable to get a job and he finds himself with a crook for a probation officer, he accepts the offer to make some quick cash so that he might help out his sister and his former church (Good motives, bad ideas). As soon as he agrees to particiapte in the scam, Joel’s luck changes and he lands two jobs, one as a dishwasher and the other as a weekend fishing guide on Montana’s rivers.

Plain Heathen Mischief has more twist and turns than Lombard Street in San Francisco. Every time I thought I had the plot figured out, Clark threw in another twist. This book was anything but predictable; making it both enjoyable to read while keeping me from doing other things because I was unable to put it down. I will not spoil the ending of the book by giving additional details of the plot except to say that Joel's interpretation of "having sex" is a lot broader than our former President's interpretation.

Through the misfortunes of Joel, many which he brings upon himself, Martin Clark explores ethics and morality. By seemingly resigning himself to the notion that he has to do something, and the end justifies the means, Joel finds himself deeper and deeper in trouble. Although he preached grace, Joel appears to have little of it for himself. He seems to think it’s up to him to keep his former congregation and his sister afloat. Such a burden almost drowns him. The book also demonstrates how wrong we can often be about other people and their motives. Although Joel is an educated man with a Master’s degree, he is naïve, which provides many comic scenes throughout the book.

I wonder about Martin Clark positioning Joel as a Baptist minister. In many ways, he seems Baptist in name only. I don’t know too many Baptist ministers (or any or ministers for that matter) who keeps Aquinas’ Summa on the nightstand. Joel also reads Tillich, Bonhoeffer, Niebuhr and Barth. Although Joel doesn’t drink, he doesn’t have a problem being with those who do, as we learn when he enjoys a night in Vegas, accompanied by Edmond and Sa’ad and three beautiful women.

My favorite characters in the book are Sophie (his sister) and Dixon (his boss at the outfitting service). Like Joel, Sophie’s life crumbled when her well-off doctor husband left her and took off for France in the hopes to make it as an artist. Although she has problems with organized religion, she comes off as a good person who refuses to cut corners or to do anything that's morally questionable. Likewise, Dixon is a person who tries to do right. I love his comparing churchgoing to the blues.


Churchgoin’ to me is a lot like blues music. Everybody always talks it up, says great things about it, and you know its supposed to boost your soul, but when you actually do it, when you go sit in a smoky club for two hours hearing some old brother with a bum leg an a pair of Ray-Bands play the same slow, self-indulgent, strung-out three notes and squeeze his eyes shut, you start thinking, man, his crap ain’t so hot. Truth is, you'd rather be down at the Holiday Inn lounge tossin' back dollar shooters, pawing the strange women and dancing to disco... (page 263)

My only complaint is that the book is a bit long. The story could be tightened up a bit, which I think might make the book funnier. However, I’m really shouldn’t complain. Not only did I enjoyed the book, I didn’t want it to end. I'm looking forward to reading Clark’s other book, The Many Aspects of Mobile Home Living. Martin Clark is a circuit court judge who lives in Stuart, Virginia.

For other book reviews by Sage, click here.

13 comments:

  1. Glad you're reviewing Southern books. That passage comparing church going to blues was beautiful and powerful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to try and get Big A to write a book and I want you to read it and review it too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. From your reviews, I get to know about new authors. I keep adding to my read lists..

    If I ever write a book, I will ask you to review it..:D

    I have been reading and reviewing books like mad. That too after my school reopened after two months summer vacations..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Pia! When you get your book finished, I'll review it as part of Ed's DamnYankee Reading Challenge :)

    Murf, I'd be glad to review Big A's book.

    Gautami, I'd also be glad to review your book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No book to hawk, but I would like to use your review to remind peeps of the sense of place contest. Some time around mid-July. If that's okay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review Sage! I had the same argument with my husband about the Baptist part. Sophie is my favorite too. It was easy to relate to her. Thanks for the read and the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggie, why no book? I'd read and review yours too! No problem with using my review to hype your sense of place context. I meant to get a sign for "Dixie" in S. Utah, but forgot all about it--I was going to use that for my place post. Oh well, something else will come along.

    Deana, it was fun reading the book and your husband has given me a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Sage. I'm adding that to my list. I find it amusing that you felt it was too long - but didn't want it to end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sage, one day I'm going to read one of these off the wall books you come up with. These guys should be paying you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, stellar review of a very interesting book. I must admit this book has truly piqued my curiosity. Glad to hear it's a wonderful read.

    The portion you quoted was completely engrossing.

    Thanks for posting about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss reading books! all i Have time now is the internet and catalogs.!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have me interested! I will have to add this one to my wish list. I love that passage you quoted, Sage. I think that's what put me over the edge in wanting to read this one. That and all the twists. I like to be kept guessing, but it doesn't happen all that often anymore. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kenju, yeah, I suppose that's a bit of a paradox

    Pat, that would be great, I could use some extra cash

    V, as a future lawyer, maybe you could learn some tricks of the trade from Sa'ad (or at least how to stay out of jail)

    Mrsmogul, READ MORE BOOKS!

    The Cat that Reads: I hope you enjoy the book

    ReplyDelete