Friday, July 13, 2007

Explaining my absence (Up in the UP)


Sunset behind a storm moving across Lake Superior.

I haven’t been around the computer much the last couple days. Wednesday morning I left here real early and drove up to the UP (that’s Upper Peninsula as opposed to Union Pacific) where I cooked up a bunch of vittles on Wednsday night for a crew of nearly 30 high school age kids and 12 leaders who are building a Habitat house near Musining. Last year I worked with them the whole week, then stayed in the UP for another week of fishing. This is a great group. The goal is to have the house closed in, the electrical wiring run, and the exterior finished in a week. The foundation is done before they arrive. Another crew will take over and do the plumbing, drywall, cabinets, flooring, etc.

Click here to see a photo of last year's completed house. Be sure to read all the way to the end to get to the photo.

Below is a photo of me checking out the Brunswick Stew I made for them. By the way, the gash in my leg was done on my last day of hiking out in Utah (I've yet to written about that trip yet).

I also fixed up a mess of hushpuppies.
And the highlight, chicken, potatoes and cobblers fixed in a Dutch oven (notice my helps taking a break in the background.
And one final shot of Lake Superior at sunset. I spent a day working on the jobsite (building a shed for the family, before I drove the 6 1/2 hours home, arriving back here last night a bit before midnight.


17 comments:

  1. What can I add except, great cause, great for you to be involved, the photos are great, and the food sounds delicious, but what is Brunswick Stew?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brunswick Stew is a southern dish--it's often served with Barbecue in the Carolinas--you can use chicken or port (or both), in with lots of stewed tomatoes, corn, potatoes, onions, butter beans (or frozen limas) hot sause, etc. It's best to cook it slowly for hours (its a great crock pot recipe-I'll try to find one for you).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first picture was outstanding.

    Looks to me like you would need a full size truck to haul all that cooking gear and possibly me after I ate such a dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, thanks! And let me know if I can send a recipe for Easy Pecan Pie your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photos! Are you THAT good of a cook? I love hushpuppies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pass a hushpuppy and I want to be wherever those sunsets are. Glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, as a native Californian, I've never even had a hushpuppy . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I thought it was going to be gumbo. :)

    I participated in Mountain Top Minitries where we painted barns and built porches in the Appalachains, but never Habitat. WWJT or What Would Jimmy Think!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ed, yeah, I drive a Chevy 1500

    Diane, would you believe that I've never made a Pecan Pie (my mother use to make them all the time and I always through they were too sweet). But I'll be glad to get your recipe for she probably won't be making many more (I need to get here "Karo" recipe too)

    Mistress, Lake Superior is beautiful and I love it at sunrise and set which at some places you can see both!

    Diane, you have a treat in store for you. I thought I'd posted a recipe, but can't find it so many that'll be the subject of another post.

    Maggie, it's a little like gumbo, maybe a Carolina/Virginia version.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, lucky, lucky, you ... love,love,love the UP!

    hubby and I are planning trip up there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful picture of the sunset, Sage!

    Michele sent me,
    N.

    ReplyDelete
  12. chicken or port?

    Beautiful picture and great mission

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sunset picture could be a postcard, y'know.

    But what touches me more is how much you give of yourself. Your actions define why community is such an important part of a successful life.

    Michele sent me today to share this thought with you. You're a good soul, Charlie Brown.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I think it's awesome that your participate in Habitat, but to go even further by cooking for all those starving teens... WOW! Hat's off to you, Sage!

    And I agree with Carmi - that photo really needs to be a post card!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karen, thought about you when driving by the Houghton Lake exit. I think I could retire to the UP, wonder if I achieve such a goal next year?

    Breadbox, thanks!

    Pia, I generally use chicken in my Brunswick stew

    Carmi, Thanks, but don't inflate my head any more--besides, I love doing this stuff

    Jaded, I love your new profile pic

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you gave that family a deck this year. I remember the one last year, it felt half finished - a sliding door but yet no deck. Kind of a mean thing to do, don't you think? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I might now know the books you read but you are doing my kind of cooking! MMMMMmmm! Love the first and last photo too, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete