Thursday, October 06, 2005

Tropical Storm Warnings

Seems that a girl (tropical storm) named Tammy also has Carolina on her mind. It's rained off and on all day--in those tropical storm bands that soak everything. The surf has been fierce and there are small craft warnings and surf fishing in this kind of mess would be futile.

Suppose I could look on the bright side and say that since I didn't go to the tropics, the tropics are coming to me!

Nevertheless, I did spend time on the beach today... a rough poem in which I tried to capture the event:

Waves erases footprints
of my travel parallel to the surf,
of toes digging into the moist sand
as I focused on the distant conveyance
of water and land and air
in a foggy mist
‘till a gray black curtain
pelts cold liquid bullets
stinging as I run to the Palm Room
and find shelter at the bar
and sit with the patrons watching the game
while I drink some beer and write a poem.

2 comments:

  1. i love the way waves erase footprints. i don't know why. i'm sure everyone loves it but still, i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow what a NICE POEM...LOVE IT!! I could picture each word as you wrote it...I know the beach so well since living on it or close to it all my life.

    I thought about you watching TAMMY especially after you posted you were headed there. Ms Hurricane Tracker here....the proof is in the archives! (SMILING)

    You know I just love smiling at you, but for some reason I feel others may not know me as all my friends do. Hoping you are having a good time....I see a post ahead me...so I'm off to check it out.

    Take care....want to hear more about your trip! (smiling)

    ReplyDelete