Tuesday, June 16, 2009

An Evening on Carter Lake

The dog and I took the canoe out on Carter Lake yesterday evening. This time of year, it isn’t completely dark till around ten, so even though I left the office at 7:30 PM (don’t feel too bad, I went in at eleven and took a two hour lunch), we still had plenty of time to enjoy the evening. I took a fly rod and spent some time tormenting bluegills, granting the few I caught a pardon, but mostly we paddled and watched the swans. One pair were mourning and gave off an awful cry after a snapping turtle pulled one of their cygnets under water. Trisket was interested what was going on and seemed to want to go check it out, but thankfully thought better of it. He may be superdog, but he can’t walk on water. As we were paddling back in, the male swan had moved out into deeper water, away from his family. After cleaning himself off, he stood up with his head straight in the air and his wings spread (they’re big birds!) and gave out a cry. I wish I could have had a photo of that, but the light was way too low by then.
In addition to the bluegills, swans and turtles, we saw many redwing blackbirds in the cattails around the edges and several pairs of ducks. In the backwaters of the lake, we could hear a dozen or more types of birds singing. Playing bass in nature’s symphony were some bullfrogs. It was a wonderful way to relax and wind-down. I love watching the light change on the lake and how it's reflected in the water. I didn’t take too many photos as the cloud cover reduced the amount of light available and my dog isn’t too keen on me having my camera out (look at the way he’s only partly looking at me). When not in use, I keep the camera in a waterproof box and it’s also insured, otherwise I wouldn’t be foolish enough to have it out on the lake with the dog in the boat.

Have a wonderful Tuesday, folks.

14 comments:

  1. That's a very relaxing way of ending a working day, even if it was not stressing.

    Nice Tuesday to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sad story for the swan. Beautiful water though, it looks very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the one thing I miss most about the north, having lots of extra sunlight during the summer months. It seemed as if I got so much more done up there during the summer than I do here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like an evening paddle. When we do Ozark floats, we paddle early and pull off between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM to let all the idiots pass us and then paddle late into the evening. It's the best time of day.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so excited when I first read that title. Then I realized it was Carter, not Crater.

    Still sounds like a gorgeous night.

    Ed: Iowa is South? I mean, south of WI/MI, yes, but is the daylight thing that different?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful story and a great puppy who looks as thoguh he's enjoying the adventure. I haven't fished in many years, Sage. But I admire your patience and love for the sport. There are waterproof camera's out there. But the only ones I have seen are the disposables. Hard to imagine there are no American made cameras anymore. My best!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leni, Good to see you again. Yesterday wasn't stressful, but I just come off a very intense 2 month period, so I'm still winding down!

    Kontan, the water was like glass, no wind, which made the sound of birds even more pronounced

    Ed, being up north and being on the west end of a timezone helps give more time--of course in winter, when the sun doesn't rise till 8:30 AM...

    Randall, yes, dawn and dusk are best times to be on the water (but sometimes the evening can be scary if you're on the river and need to look for the a campsite.)

    TC, I wish it was Crater! As for the time difference, there is a big difference from here in SW Michigan to up in the UP along Superior--they probably get another 30-45 minutes of light

    Michael, yes, there are waterproof cameras, but I love the Nikon SLR digital... I've used an Olympus waterproof digital that was nice and could have done well on these shots, but it doesn't have the flexibility of the SLR.

    ReplyDelete
  8. TC - There is a big difference not only between lattitudes but also your position within the timezone. I used to live in central Minnesota where during the summer, it got dark around ten in the evening during summer. Here it is closer to eight thirty. That extra hour and a half adds up over the entire summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, first of all, I was pleasantly surprised to see another pic of your pup. I know how he is about the flash.

    But, oh, how heartbreaking about the swans. Even as a child, I couldn't watch Wild Kingdom because I would be upset for days if they had a scene with a lion killing an antelope. I'm still just as bad.

    The water looks beautiful in your pictures. I'm glad you had such a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post Sage...One day I'll have to write about the wildlife in Detro...Oh wait I already do that. Great post Sage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ed, I remember when I first went to Idaho--I'd called back east thinking it wasn't that late--it still light and well after 10 PM and it was after midnight back east

    Stephanie, I'm glad he allowed me to take the photo, but if you enlarge the pic, you'll see he's giving me a funny look! Nature can be cruel

    Walking Guy, you do a wonderful job in your poetry describing the other side of the state!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ed, I remember when I first went to Idaho--I'd called back east thinking it wasn't that late--it still light and well after 10 PM and it was after midnight back east

    Stephanie, I'm glad he allowed me to take the photo, but if you enlarge the pic, you'll see he's giving me a funny look! Nature can be cruel

    Walking Guy, you do a wonderful job in your poetry describing the other side of the state!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Almost missed this one... what a beautiful evening. That swan would have made a great picture. I love the dog sitting in the canoe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it when you feature Trisket.

    ReplyDelete