Monday, December 19, 2005

I'm out of here (for a week anyway)

I’m out of here tomorrow, heading to North Carolina for a week. I’ll try to get a post or two in while I’m on the road, but don’t hold your breath. I may be to busy trout fishing in the surf, or chowing down on oysters and shrimp, or visiting relatives. It has been almost 20 years since I’ve been home on Christmas Day! And what a year to go back to the Old North State! According to a post in Laurie’s blog (Slowly She Turned), I discovered that some think my home state consist of a bunch of Scrooges at Christmas. Check out the article in the Greensboro News Record. Some big-name accounting firm discovered that Tarheels are spending on average, $1,871 for holiday purchases. WOW, and that’s cheap? According to the article it is less than both the national and the regional spending for Christmas! I can’t believe it! Then, they said that North Carolina charitable giving (which is higher than regional and national averages) is $291. Supposedly, these numbers somehow indicate we’re all Grinches down there (I'd thought we'd get a pat on the back for being above average in giving). I wonder what Christ thinks about a holiday named after him, in which we spend six times more on ourselves and our friends and family than on those in need? Leave it to an accounting firm to determine Christmas joy by the amount people spend. With that thought, I’m out of here. Take care and have fun.

8 comments:

  1. Glad you are joining "us" for the holiday! That article is bunk! I don't spend anywhere near that for Christmas and never did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Have a GREAT time! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent many times over that this year but mostly for plane tickets to the Philippines. But on an average year, I am probably less than a few hundred bucks. Makes me wonder how much those people spend who raise the averages for people like me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sage, Now I understand why you are a Stiller fan- once a stiller-always a stiller. That is pretty neat to discover you and I might have been walking the same mall or eating in the same resturant at the same time once upon a time.

    God Bless and have a wonderful Christmas this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! My dollar store home-made habits would definitely not mesh with the averages. Glad you're going "home" for the holidays ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful Christmas with your family Sage! Hope all of your travels are safe and I look forward to hearing about your adventures when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great Christmas. I too look forward to hearing your stories and I'm kinda just a little jealous of the fishing

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never did find out what beach you're going to, but looks like you'll be leaving about the time I get to Sunset Beach anyway. Hope you're having a great time!

    ReplyDelete