Friday, April 28, 2017

X is for the X in the summer sky


Now for the promised post that many of you have been waiting for...

If you look overhead (from the northern hemisphere) during the summer, into the heart of the Milky Way, you might be able to make out an X or a cross in the sky.  X is today's letter in our A-Z Challenge.  This "X" is Cygnus, the swan, although it is also called “The Northern Cross.”  Although larger than its companion constellation, the Southern Cross, it’s not as famous possibly because Crosby Stills and Nash never sang a song about it.  



We’ve heard a bit about one of the stories that deal with Cygnus when we looked at Gemini (so you might want to look back and review).   If you remember, Gemini were the children of the affair between Jupiter (or Zeus) and Leda.  Leda, at the time, was the wife of the King of Sparta and Jupiter, from his all-seeing perch above earth, spots her having a bath.  Wanting a closer look, Jupiter changed himself into a swan and swam over to Leda.  The beautiful queen found the swan so lovely, she stoked his neck which drove Jupiter mad with lust.  He turned back into himself and they had sexual relationships that evening.  That same night, Leda, also had sex with her husband and somehow sperm from both found their way into Leda’s eggs.  Nine months later, she give birth to the Gemini twins, one who was immortal, thanks to his father being a god.  The other child was mortal, thanks to his dad being just a king.  So today, during the summer months, the swan is overhead waiting to seduce another beauty…  Or maybe this nonsense should just be called a “Midsummer Nights Dream.’   


There are other legends about Cygnus, but this one involved our old friend, Jupiter.

As for Crosby, Stills and Nash, I love the song, "Southern Cross," Anytime you can mix together sailing, the stars, and lost lovers together, I tend internalize the message...  
.
When you see the Southern Cross for the first time
You understand now why you came this way
'Cause the truth you might be runnin' from is so small
But it's as big as the promise, the promise of a comin' day

                               -Crosby, Stills and Nash, 1982

28 comments:

  1. Very interesting and well-researched. http://sagecoveredhills.blogspot.com/2017/04/x-is-for-x-in-summer-sky

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Virtual Vineyard Sorry, I put your link in instead of mine. We're almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is interesting, and an original choice for the X-post.
    -----
    Eva - Mail Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post. Hearing this legend for the first time. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the song, "Southern Cross." It was interesting to learn more about the Northern Cross and more about Jupiter's exploits too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. Glad I found you again. Find me here. LINK

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had to check out X... nice job! I love the way this challenge increases our creativity. :-)

    Affirmations for a Good Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. An X in the sky. I'll have to check it out. I also have a friend named Leda. I'll have to tell her another story about someone who shares her name.

    http://theglobaldig.blogspot.com/2017/04/x-is-for-x-ordinary-words-on-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Crosby, Stills, and Nash (and Young)! Oh, those crazy gods and goddesses. Always getting into trouble.

    X is for the X-37B Space Plane

    ReplyDelete
  10. I knew the story of Leda and the Swan well (and all those many, many sexy Lady/Swan statues), but I didn't realize that one of the Gemini twins were mortal. That makes perfect sense..

    Also, I know of Southern Cross from the the mid-80s anime series. The Robotech Masters' homeworld is located around one of the stars in the Southern Cross constellation... and I'll just stop now.

    X - Brother XII, Canada's Own Crazy Cultist!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen the Northern Cross for the first time. Really, somebody ought to make that song. I wonder if CSN is available?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some of these legends related to the gods are just outrageous! It's hard to believe people actually believed them. Still, they make for good stories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha! Jupiter really needs to learn how to chill. I don’t think I’ve ever heard the “Southern Cross” song. I’ll go look it up on YouTube.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice. I love so much Crosby, Stills and Nash !And love this song!

    ReplyDelete
  15. X didn't disappoint:)
    I think Jupiter/Zeus supplies enough nonsense to keep non-star-gazers like me interested in stars. So, that's a good thing, right?
    X is for X shaped stitches on a Xmas stocking

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Crosby, Stills and Nash - the best concert I've ever been to.

    You did great on X! Informative and an interesting story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sage - I'd heard of Cygnus in the sky - but now I know what is meant by it ... and have learnt some more ... then I've the Crosby, Stills and Nash to take my memory bank back to the times I spent out in the night sky - cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/x-is-for-x-war-facts.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've always loved that Crosby, Stills and Nash song.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great story! I have enough trouble keeping my own family history straight, much less trying to keep track of all these decadent god, goddesses, and demigods.

    I'm sure I know that song, but I can't place the tune off hand. I'm off to remedy that now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I remember "Southern Cross." Funny that the second time I've visited you, there was a song connected to the constellation you were discussing!
    http://laurelgarver.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wonder if I can see the Northern Cross from the equator. I'll have to look for it!

    Emily | My Life In Ecuador | Xanthophobia, Xenoepist, Xyzlacatosis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, it wouldn't be straight overhead but to your north

      Delete
  22. I didn't know we had a Northern Cross, though I'd heard of Cygnus. That Jupiter, such a cad. ;)

    A to Z 2017: Magical and Medicinal Herbs

    ReplyDelete
  23. Many thanks - once again very informative.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. “Midsummer’s Night Dream” sounds appropriate. Another great post.


    Thanks for stopping by X for X words
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  25. The northern cross isn't as noticeable as the Southern Cross, which also plays a role in it being less well known

    ReplyDelete