Saturday, October 03, 2015

Happy birthday, Yosemite

On top of Half Dome
Thursday was the 125th birthday for Yosemite National Park.  President Benjamin Harrison signed the legislation to create the National Park on October 1, 1890.  Yosemite stole my heart when I first saw it in 1985.  I drove in from San Francisco with 6 rolls of film (36 exposures each) and by the time I got to the valley where we were staying, I'd taken every frame. 

 I have been back numerous times including having hiked the John Muir Trail (JMT) from Mt. Whitney to Yosemite Valley (over a series of three summers).  I need to make another trip with a digital camera!  I've included a few pictures in honor of Yosemite's birthday.  These were copies of slides.  It really is an incredible place. 

To learn more about Yosemite's beginning and to see an incredible photo of a double rainbow over the park, click here.
 
I haven't been able to visit many folk's blogs over the past two weeks--things are pretty busy on my end and they'll stay that way till probably Thanksgiving.  I will catch up as I can!

Having just completed the JMT

16 comments:

  1. Yosemite is one of the most special spots in the world. I've been there twice and have loved every moment. Terry and I contribute to the park's foundation every year as one of our charities. Of course, as a geologist, I love its magnificent rocks for their geological history. We all get busy, Sage, so you're speaking to someone who gets it! Enjoy your busy life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing photo on top! It's on my bucket list. My daughter and SIL went there on their honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've traveled around the world and I've yet to see natural beauty that surpasses Yosemite Valley. The spot is so incredible it isn't a wonder Native Americans believed the gods resided there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post! If I weren't leaving for Alabama early this Sunday morning, I'd bake a cake! Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday Yosemite indeed! I loved my short visit there many years ago now on my childhood holiday in California

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've visited so many of the national parks, it's odd I've never gone to Yosemite. Flown over it many times, but never from the ground. Nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only been there once when I was a kid. That same summer we visited Sequoia National Park.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been to Yosemite for some reason. I think it is the same reason I've only been to Yellowstone just once. They are beautiful but too crowded for me. I think if I do get out there, I will have to visit it via hiking trail to get away from all the people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, look how young you look.
    Never been there. Kind of like Ed, too touristic takes away the serenity I seek

    ReplyDelete
  10. No better way to celebrate 125 years of astonishing beauty than to walk through it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It makes me a little dizzy - watching you on the edge of that cliff. Oh my - I wouldn't be able to get that close to the edge (same thing happens to me when I'm at the loading dock where I work.) :)

    I'd love to visit this park someday - thanks for sharing it. Hope your schedule involves all pleasant things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I visited when I was a kid, but I remember my visits to Yellowstone and The Tetons more. I'm a big fan of national parks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never been to Yosemite, but I'm amazed you have endured so much hiking over the years. This is good for the body and soul!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday, Yosemite National Park!! :D I've always wanted to go there. It would've been neat going there for its 125th birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for all the comments. I wasn't able to make the 125th anniversary and haven't been to Yosemite since early this century, but I was there at least eight times between 1985 and 1997.

    ReplyDelete