Tuesday, July 09, 2013

An afternoon sail

looking up at my newly restored mast
As we pass the point on a windward beat, the wind gusts and the boat heaves to starboard.  Our adrenaline rises as we climb up on the port side and hold on for the ride.  I pull the jib and main sheets tighter, flattening the sail as we skim across the water, banging into the whitecaps as water splashes over us.   It’s wild.  When we move close to the far end of the lake and need to come about, I have release the jib sheet and motion for my friend who’s at the helm to turn us through the eye of the wind.  As he pushes the rudder, the boat turns, stalls for a second as we climb to the starboard side.  I pull the jib sheet and it catches the wind, pulling us around.  I set the jib sheet, then out the main, putting us on a beam reach.  Soon, the boat is flying again as we enjoy the ride.    


It’s a great day to be on the water.   We debated going out when we arrived on the lake for it appeared a storm building and the water was really rough, but since there didn’t seem to be any lightning (and there was none on the radar), we decided to try it.  At first it was rough and we sailed only with the main.  Twice, I about lost my cap, so I took it off and threw it up under the bow.  The wind continued strong for nearly an hour as we raced back and forth between buoys.  Then the storm blew over and sun appeared.  The wind calmed and I set the jib, giving us extra sail to enjoy.  I pulled my cap out from under the bow, in order to shad my eyes (and keep my bald head from burning).   We enjoyed a cold drink and talked as the boat leisurely tacked back and forth across the lake.  But the winds returned and the skies again darkened.  With the main and the jib, we sailed even faster than before, charging back and forth across the water.  The western sky began to look threatening and wanting to get the boat safely moored before any lightning appeared, we headed in.    It was a good afternoon sail as we'd been on the water for a couple of hours and experienced everything for a hard blow to a gentle breeze.

My friend Jim at the helm

15 comments:

  1. I know it is wonderful to be able to do that. My husband loved sailing, but he can no longer do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sailor Man!
    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° > <3
    > < } } ( ° >


    ReplyDelete
  3. see now i am sorely jealous...i used to sail every summer...its one of those things that there is nothing quite like....very cool....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freedom personified!

    I've popped over from Lynn's blog...I've travelled far...from Down Under. I hope you don't mind my doing so uninvited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully described and modestly understated. I was on water only once under threatening weather --Lac du Flambeau, Wis.,1963. At 1st lightning my brother and I exceeded all sane estimates rowing from mid-lake to shore. Had we sails, we would have been blowing on them for more speed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They say lakes are far more dangerous than the ocean. Something to do with the oscillation of the waves and a compounding effect from the lake bottom reflecting the force something you only see when approaching a lee shore with a shelf. Lyme Bay for instance. Myself I think if you were taking bets, I'd far prefer to sink on a lake if it was going to happen than the Atlantic. At least, there's a reasonable chance of rescue in the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great depiction of the exhilaration involved. I'm gonna use this as a reference for any sailing parts to any of my stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful afternoon - I'm glad you went ahead and did it and that you didn't get rained on. It must be so gratifying to be sailing on a vessel you did so much work on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great time, in spite of the wind!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the descriptions in the first paragraph, wish i was able to control a yacht!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a non-swimmer, I felt like I should be wearing a life preserver or floaty wings when reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this looks like it was an amazing time!! Making memories on the open water. I want to go sailing someday!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had "Sloop John B" playing in my head as I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've read a ton of personal sailing stories in Sail Magazine (and others) and I've got to tell you. Your writing is better than anything I read in them.
    Really good! I felt like I was there...

    ReplyDelete