Thursday, November 01, 2007

3WW and some test results


I’m finally getting around to completing Bone’s Three-Word-Wednesday writing exercise (two days late). Such is life today—but I’m need to do some writing not related to work, so here’s this weeks attempt. Bone’s three words are: "phone, stumbled, windy"

Life in the 21st Century Dust Bowl, or What happened to the cell phone?

“Honey, what are we going to do? The phone line’s down again.”

“Don’t worry,” I said. “I’ll take care of it.”

Throwing on a jacket and buttoning it up all the way, I grabbed my hat and headed to the door.

“Be careful, it’s awfully windy,” she warned.

Placing my body in front so that it won’t blow wide open, I cracked the door enough that I was able to slip outside. The wind was howling, swirling around the house. Dust filled, the air felt heavy. Tumble weeds raced across the back fields and collected along the fences. Holding the rim of my Stetson, I leaned into the wind and walked toward our neighbor’s house a mile away, out on the county road. As sand began to pit my face and I pull my hat down further for some protection of my eyes. Keeping the fence row on my right, I make good time and soon am knocking on their door.

“Is your phone working,” I asked when the door opens.

“Think so,” the old man said, “but I haven’t used it lately. Get in here and out of that wind.”

“Thanks,” I said, as I stumbled into their parlor and drop by the chair by the phone.

“Need the book,” he asked.

“Nah, I got the number memorized.”

I picked up the receiver; a tone was present indicating their line was working. I dialed the number. It rang twice and someone on the other end answers, “Dominos, may I help you?”






My Liberal Identity:



You are a Reality-Based Intellectualist, also known as the liberal elite. You are a proud member of what’s known as the reality-based community, where science, reason, and non-Jesus-based thought reign supreme.



Karen, who often has funny (and no so funny) things to say about our President and his henchmen, recently had this test on her blog. For kicks, I decided to take it. I like the idea of being an intellectualist—but my faith is Jesus centered. And I’m not sure what kind of reality-based fool (except me) would choose to take Zen in the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance on a space trek—except that the rest of my choices weren’t really appealing except for the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (which is that I thought a true “reality” based fool might take). Anyway, if you take the test, have fun and don’t take it too seriously.

25 comments:

  1. Oh this was a fun take on the 3WW prompt, all that trudging for pizza! :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that's great! I love that you went through all that for pizza. Hey, sometimes you just gotta have your pizza, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took the quiz but it was so far off my political views that I won't bore you with the details. I would rather have the pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you get that Pizza? What toppings?

    I think I will take that quiz?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very atmospheric piece. I'd love to see tumble weed blowing about. One thing I learnt about HGTTG is the answer to everything is 46. Have I got that right?
    Michele says hi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I scored "Reality-Based Intellectualist" too. They pretty much summed up my outlook on things.

    Oh, I didn't choose the "Zen" book. I choose the "Zinn" book, lol. I love "A People's History...." Great book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you have fun with words.

    On the quiz, I scored as a Peace Patroller. But I couldn't really relate well to many of the options given there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll order the pizza. Hawaiian w/ a side of hot garlic rolls. While I wait, I'll pop open the Merlot and take the pop quiz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a Reality-Based Intellectualist, also known as the liberal elite. You are a proud member of what’s known as the reality-based community, where science, reason, and non-Jesus-based thought reign supreme.

    That was my result, although on some of those questions, I wanted to answer "all of the above!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have to go take that quiz just to see what it says. I like quizes, they are fun.

    Liked your writing exercise. Great ending!

    Michele sent me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a Social Justice Crusader, also known as a rights activist. You believe in equality, fairness, and preventing neo-Confederate conservative troglodytes from rolling back fifty years of civil rights gains.

    Amen, brothers and sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karen suggested that I might like your stories.

    She was correct.

    I will have to drop by again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. UL and TC (Underwriter Labs and Top Cat?) Thanks

    Ed, it wouldn't have been boring, it'd just given us some "fodder"

    Gautami--the best pizzas are those I make myself--including the dough--I tend to prefer Vegetarian pizzas, sometimes pesto pizzas

    Pi--it's 40 something, when I forget I ask my secret, she's a real fan of Hitchhiker

    Joe, join the club--I've read Zen a few times and could read it again

    Tim, a peace patroller is appropriate for a Mennonite

    Scarlet-I like beer with my pizza

    Kenju, welcome to the club (with Joe and I)

    Sleeping Mom--thanks

    Diane--although I don't claim to be a neo-Confederate conservative, I'm still from the south and always get a bit nervous around yankee do-gooding lawyers :)

    Jack, I need to check out your stories too--although Karen has great quizzes and funny cartoons--we need to get her to write more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Michele sent me back...to get more pizza I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  15. interesting story. my quiz results says:

    "You are an Eco-Avenger, also known as an environmentalist or tree hugger. You believe in saving the planet from the clutches of air-fouling, oil-drilling, earth-raping conservative fossil fools."

    hmmmm...hi from michele! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not surprised (I'm pretty sure that the Peace Train song put it over -- although "Not Ready to Make nice is the song in my head).

    Your Liberal Breed: Peace Patroller

    You are a Peace Patroller, also known as an anti-war liberal or neo-hippie. You believe in putting an end to American imperial conquest, stopping wars that have already been lost, and supporting our troops by bringing them home.

    It pretty much fits me. But I think that all of the ones I've seen so far have fit me. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  17. According to the survey I am an Eco-Avenger...aka a tree hugger. Not too terribly surprising and could be worse.

    Great story. I haven't made it back around to Bone's 3WW. I keep thinking things will slow down, but I guess I'm not happy unless life is a whirlwind.

    ReplyDelete
  18. sage - not to worry - I'll concentrate on cleaning up So Cal before I head down to Dixie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I posted mine. I have a feeling that I'm the polar opposite of you yet again and I chose The Hitchikers Guide to the Galazy. I love that "trilogy".

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, Okay, Okay!!

    Alright already!!

    *sigh*

    guess I'm gonna halfta git my thinkin' cap on and git to writin'. problem with me is, I'm lazy! {grin}

    When you get a chance, drop over to this 'n that and sign my Guestbook!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jesus isn't part of reality now? Man, am I behind on my reading.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kewl! I'm a New Left Hipster! And, I would take Origin of Species 'cos I just wanna read it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Of course you had the number memorized. It's like the first number I learned besides my own and my grandma's :)

    Clever, Sage.

    ReplyDelete