Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Walking in New York City

Cooling heels in shallow water along the Highline 
I enjoy walking and there is no better way to see a city than hoofing it along the sidewalks and parks.  Thanks to an app that came with my iPhone (from which I also took these phots), I tracked my mileage (along with steps and stairs climbed during the week).  The most mileage in a day was 14.5, the least was 7, with a daily average of 10.  What can I say?  Some people leave their heart behind in the city, I leave the tread from the soles of my shoes.  New York has wonderful places to walk.  There are plenty of sidewalks and most of my walking was on sidewalks, but I never took pictures of them.  

Everyone knows of Central Park and one could do many miles within the border of this huge park.  Although it seemed more people enjoyed the south end of the park, where there is a zoo and a nice lake and those two funky high rises that appeared in Ghostbusters (the movie), the north end of the park actually has some wooded areas and hills.  Also, dogs are allowed to run free on the northern end.  There is also a ravine on the upper end that reminded me of the Appalachian Trail as the dirt path paralleled a creek which provided the sound of gurgling water that made it feel as if one was in the wilderness and not in a big city. 
Central Park with the Ghostbuster Buildings in the distance
Hudson from Fort Tryon 
Riverside Park, which runs along large stretches of the Hudson River was another nice place to walk as observing boats on the water and even the large cruise ships that dock between 50th to 55th Streets.   Also, the wide expanse of water provides a nearly constant breeze which moderates the temperature on hot days.  Further uptown, this park links to Fort Tryon Park and some others which are on high bluffs above the river.  While there, check out the wonderful gardens.  Also along the river is Battery Park.  Having been there before and with lots of construction due to Sandy (the hurricane that struck NYC a few years ago), I didn't spend any time there this trip.

The High Line
My two favorite places of walking is the High Line and the Brooklyn Bridge.  The High Line is an old elevated railroad that provided freight service to factories along the Hudson River.  It was abandoned in the 80s and there was a discussion about tearing it down when someone came up with the idea of making it a walk path.   It was opened in 2008.  The path gives nice views of city streets and the river and in places include groves of aspen and lots of flowers and grasses that are interspersed around the path.  Most of the pathway was created by placing precast concrete strips on the old ties, which softens the walking from traditional concrete on packed services.  Some areas a metal service is used with slits for drainage.  There is a covered area where a few artisans sell their work and food and beer is available.  The path is incredibly clean, unlike some of NYC's streets and subways that are just a notch cleaner than Jakarta's streets.   
an audience participation lego project along the High Line

Brooklyn Bridge

The other neat place to walk is the Brooklyn Bridge.  It can be accessed on either side by the subway and then crossed over to the other side on a path above the traffic.  The height and openness of the bridge to sea breezes keep us cool for the sun.  The bridge is a marvel to see and walking across it one can ponder the engineering feats of the day.  In addition, you are able to enjoy the view up and down the East River and of lower Manhattan. 
George Washington Bridge from Fort Tryon Park

41 comments:

  1. For all the well deserved knocks against NYC, it is a wonderfully pedestrian-friendly town. I never had the nerve to walk the Brooklyn Bridge, though - afraid of heights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind heights (but I still wouldn't want to climb a tower on top of one of the buildings)!

      Delete
  2. What an enjoyable time, it's one of my favorite places to leave lots of tread behind for me too! Of course so is your new home town. We walked so much there, I had to give hubby a foot massage to keep him going. He has that same app and is checking it all the time. Thanks for the mini visit, great captures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to come back and visit Savannah! I don't get downtown too often, but when I do, I enjoy walking the squares.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for reminding me how much I loved New York. I need to get back that way soon. We must have gone through a less popular area of Central Park because I don't recall crowds like that! Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge was something I didn't do, but I'm definitely putting it on the list for next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Central Park photo was taken near the south end (which seems to be the busier end) of the park on a Saturday.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed seeing NYC through your eyes. I didn't realize there was such greenery and beautiful views of the water but when you walk, you see and hear it all. I must do more of that when I arrive in Tampa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While NYC can be humid, in Tampa the humidity is enough to drown a person, eh? :)

      Delete
  5. I did quite a bit of walking in New York when I was there and enjoyed it. Did get tired and didn't do nearly the amount you did. but it is a great walking city

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been there once with my hubby when we went to visit his family in New Jersey. Loved the pictures you took.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful way to see the city. You've taken some great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous photos! The High Line is new to me. I'm not sure I would be up for bridge walking. I'm quite fearful of open air heights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but you get the best views from up high! But I do understand there are folks with fear of heights.

      Delete
  9. I've done a lot of hoofing it across that city but I have missed the highline trail. Sounds like my type of trail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is your girl heading for university. I forget that it's 4 years since you went on your trip to the far east and Russia and the met you in the UK for the return over the Atlantic.

    NYC looks nice but I believe it gets really nasty in summer with people stewing in their own juices and making very fractious denizens, or should I say even more so than usual.

    Shocking how the smartphone cameras have come on in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has one more year in high school--she spent the week as an intern at the UN. Thankfully we only had one really hot day and there were always shorebreezes, but it was humid all the time

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful time - I loved New York when I was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an incredible place--stay tuned for more posts!

      Delete
  12. I may never get to visit NYC, but I would love to take a nice walk through there. I think I'd really enjoy the High Line walk. I'd be stopping to take a ton of pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I may never get to visit NYC, but I would love to take a nice walk through there. I think I'd really enjoy the High Line walk. I'd be stopping to take a ton of pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved seeing your pictures. Interestingly, I have not explored much of New York City. I've been through there, driving to the airport. I'd really like to see some of the parks along with the other cultural things.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never been to NYC, so I really enjoyed looking at the photos and reading your experience. That lego thing looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous photos. I agree. Walking is the best way to get to know a city like New York. Or cycling. Thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I plan on walking the Brooklyn Bridge and Highline when I go there soon. I used to live next to Fort Tryon. Gorgeous park. I always do a lot of walking and picture taking there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fort Tryon is a nice area! Were you in school there?

      Delete
    2. Yes, when I was a kid.

      Delete
  18. Been in The City many times over the years, first back in '66, stayed in a friends upper west side apt, a few blocks off the park.
    In recent years I stayed in the Mayflower, torn down now to build a new trump building, next to their previous one at the end of the park.
    My daughter E. was in a broadway play some years ago, "Rent", watched her almost every night for a week.
    I love the city.....the bustle, the striding along, the ability to order a sesame bagel, lox and onions, and an orange juice at 8 am. The area between Broadway and Amsterdam between 70th and 82nd. The upper west side....
    Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so great about your daughter! I was in my early 30s before I made it to the city--and then it was only for a day. I've never spent much time on Manhattan. The most time spent at the city was in Queens/Flushings at the US Tennis opening a few years ago.

      Delete
  19. That lego project is very cool.
    NY's bridges remind me of the Bay Area's bridges. And Central Park is similar to Golden Gate park.
    Thanks for the tour, Sage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your bridges are longer! I haven't spent much time in Golden Gate Park, but have done a lot of hiking in the Marin Highlands across the way from SF--it is a beautiful place!

      Delete
  20. Always nice to find a good walkable city with lots of greenery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. A city without parks is a dreadful place!

      Delete
  21. Haven't been in NYC since 1964. Happy to see familiar trails and new ones too. Thanks, Sage!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great stuff. My time in NYC has been very limited. I did get to walk the Brooklyn Bridge last time I was there, though.

    ReplyDelete