Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Three Days in the Okefenokee

Sage, at the take-out point
You've been waiting for this! In late March, I led a group of eight other men into the Okefenokee.  Seven of us live on Skidaway.  We were joined by my father (he was proud to be the oldest in the group) and a friend of mine from St. Simon's Island.  It was a different experience from my two previous trips on the east side of the swamp.  On one of these trips, I went in just for the day with my dad.  The other was a two-night, three day solo.  I would have liked to have spent another night in the swamp, but they limit stays to two nights in March and April because they are the most popular months to explore the swamp.

Bob and Gary in the canoe, John in the kayak

I couldn't see them, but they were there, close by as we paddled through the narrow water trail that led from Floyd's Island back to the Suwanee River.  At times, their bellowing made what's left of my hair stand on end.  Other times, what seemed to be a soft purr rose from just inside the thick vegetation.  They were obviously enjoying themselves, and although I heard dozens, I only saw one alligator that morning.  It quickly submerged as I paddle closer.  But the others were there, hidden from view as they filled the swamp with the voices of their erotic spring mating rituals.  I paddled into several of the watery prairies in hope of catching a glimpse of a bull gator lifting its head and bellowing, but was not blessed to experience it.  Instead, I was left with the haunting memories of the sounds of gators courting. 



It was our second day in the Okefenokee.  The day before, a group of us had met at 5:30 AM.  We followed one another through the darkness, driving south down 95 in the rain: three vehicles and three kayaks and one canoe.  South of Brunswick, as the darkness waned, we left the interstate and drove on two-lane roads to Folkston and then following the edge of the swamp boundaries into Florida and back into Georgia.  At Fargo, we left the main highway and drove on 17 miles into the swamp to Stephen Foster State Park.  Although most of the swamp is a national wildlife refuge, this section, bordered on the north and east by the Suwanee River, is owned by the state of Georgia.  Although he wrote a song about it, I don't think Stephen Foster ever made it down here.  Soon, four others joined us.  Two had driven down the night before and were surprised, arriving in Fargo and staying in one of the towns two-four room motels, that there were no restaurants open on Sundays and that dinner the night before consisted of chips, junk food and beer purchased at the gas station.  Another had stayed in Waycross the evening before and a fourth, who lives on St Simons Island, drove over from there.  At ten oclock, after shuttling a vehicle to be close to where we planned to take out on Wednesday morning, leaving it at a private campground just outside the park, ran by a guy who has a wonderful collection of mounted snakes:  good-sized Caneback and Timber Rattlers with their fangs showing as well as the equally poisonous Cottonmouth, along with a Copperhead and a small but deadly Coral Snakes.  I asked the ranger as we were putting in the boats if we would likely see any snakes and he said he doubted wed see any in the water as we paddled as the gators tend to keep the population in check.  He was right, we didnt see any while paddling and only one while on land.    

At 10:30 AM, we paddled down a short canal by the visitors center and out into the Suwanee River where we then turned upstream, paddling against the current.  Thankfully, the rain had ended by the time we were loading boats, but the day remained overcast.  In a mile, we passed the Suwanee Canal.  Had we kept paddling east for ten miles, wed reached the last place I camped on my trip into the swamp last December.  Instead, we stayed with the river which headed north, through a narrow channel that snaked through cypress trees and lily pads.  The river alternated between a narrow channel through swamp bottom hardwoods and cypress and opening up as it paddled through prairies.  We stopped for lunch at a wooden platform at Minnies Lake.  A mile and a half after Minnies, we left the Suwanee and paddled a narrow canoe paddle that skirted the south side of Floyds Island Prairie. I only saw two gators this afternoon, the lack of sun keeping them at bay.  However, despite the grayness of the day, there were a number of butterflies flying around and enjoying the nectar of spring flowers.


taken on Floyd's Island
Floyd's Cabin
In about four miles, the trail ended at Floyd's Island, which was named for the army officer who led a group of soldiers through the swamp during the Seminole Wars in the early 19th Century.  It is a nice to have solid ground and at the campsite there is a cabin built in the 1920s by a Swamper.  Most of the guys decided to sleep inside the cabin, the exception being Brandon and me who had hammocks and thought our sleeping arrangements might be more comfortable than the wooden floors of the cabin which is known for the families of swamp rats who live there, feasting on food carelessly left by campers.  Besides, we wouldnt have to listen to a bunch of guys snore. 
My hammock (set up on Mixon's Hammock)
 After cocktails, we feasted on chili made by John's wife. Dave introduced us to his Irish Fisherman Stove, which uses just a few twigs to boil water and several of us had tea after dinner.  Someone built a fire.  Dave, who also has completed the Appalachian Trail, and I shared stories of our hike and Brandon told about his other trips into the swamp.  By 9;30, everyone was tired and in bed.  At 3 AM, I woke to the hooting of an owl that sounded as if it was right over my hammock.  A little later, the whip-o-wills started.  From this point on, I didn't sleep well, and had some weird dreams.  After finally staying asleep for an hour and a half, I got up a little before 7, with the sound of birds chirping and mosquitoes buzzing just outside the net of my hammock.  My first order of business was making coffee.  Everyone seemed to enjoy having perked coffee to go with our instant oatmeal.  After breakfast, we explored the island a bit then packed up our boats. 



For our second day of paddling, we headed back the way we came.  This time, the current was with us and we made good time, stopping again at Minnies for an early lunch.  Although we only heard gators in the morning, shortly after arriving where the river widens and joins the Suwanee Canal, we started seeing many of them.  The sun was out and so were the gators who seemed exhausted and not really interested in us as they allowed us to get close enough to get good photos (but not too close to disturb them!).  In addition to alligators, the dragon flies took to the air, providing some entertainment with their maneuvering and mating.  Brandon and Dave left the group when we passed Stephan Foster's State Park, as they had reasons to get back to home.

two large alligators
My father and his sit on top kayaks
Dad likes to fish from his and it's hard to fish in a regular kayak 

We camp on the second night at Mixon's Hammock...   When we arrived, Gary and Bob who were in a canoe and had paddled on ahead, was not there.  I decided to try to find them and took off down a section of the river known as the narrows.  I made good time going with the current, yelling out their names.  I was afraid theyd passed the campsite.  Finally, after paddling about a mile and a half, I stopped and turned on my cell phone and was able to get one bar of service, enough to get a text out to Gary.  I figured that sooner or later, hed turn on his phone and learn that hed missed the campsite.  Then I turned around and paddled back to Mixons Hammock, only to find that the two of them had gone into the State Park to dump trash and then helped Brandon and Dave load their boats.  They were all waiting for me at Mixons, having yelled their heads off for me to come back (sound must not carry too far in the swamp).  However, in my additional paddling, I was treated to seeing a rookery where dozens of white ibis nesting and probably the largest alligator Id seen (he was as long as my boat which is just shy of 15 feet). 
Sage (photo by John)
Again, we had cocktails at 5 PM, followed by a chicken and noodle dinner.  After exploring the hammock a bit (it wasn't that large) we sat around a fire, swatting bugs and telling stories.  John told us about his flying refueling jets out of Thailand during the Vietnam War and Gary about his travels in Europe at the same time.  My dad, who was along on the trip, and Jim talked about living and working in Japan.  Walt, a retired teacher, told about one of his students who had become a world famous videographer and had filmed several Everest expeditions.  The stories lasted as long as our wood supply which kept the smoke in the air and the bugs at bay.  At around 9:30, we had all retired to our tents or hammocks.  I tried to read a bit once I got in my hammock, but was tired and when the rains came a little later, I feel asleep.   It rained off and on all night, but it was hard to tell when it wasn't raining as you still had water dripping off the leaves.   Again, I had weird dreams including one in which I ran into a Roger, who was glad to see me since my lecture on Mark Twain in Nevada was scheduled to start in just a few minutes...  I had not prepared because I thought the lecture was a month out and so slipped into a bathroom to jot down a quick outline.  This was a dream grounded in reality since I had just committed to doing a series of lectures on Mark Twains western travels this summer. 


It was wet and cool the next morning, out last in the swamp.  We continued paddling down the Suwanee for a few miles, first through a beautiful section of cypress known as the narrows (which I had paddled the afternoon before).  As the river snaked back and forth, I was paddling at a slower rate and able to catch the scent of honeysuckle.   After the narrows, the river opened up.  It was here that Id seen so many ibis the evening before but they were gone this morning.  In one of the dead trees, I did see a pleated woodpecker and there were a few kingfishers flying around.  This water is impounded by a sill that runs along the southwest side of the swamp and controls river flow downstream.  

The outlet to the sill
(the Suwanee leaves here and flows to the Gulf)
We paddled up to the sill, where there were a few fisherman along the banks and in boats along the channel by the river.  We paddled to the boat ramp on the east end of the sill and got out of our boats.  Our time in the swamp was over.  From here, I had to walk a few miles to pick up the vehicle we left at the snake-mans campground, but thankfully after about a half mile, I was offered a ride in a truck by a couple of the fisherman who wed passed.  They didnt have much luck and were heading back to their home in Homersville.  With their assistance, we were able to soon have all the vehicles shuttled down to the sill (they dont allow overnight parking there).  We loaded our boats and gear and headed home, except for Bob and Gary who were spending two more days of paddling on the Suwanee.

Blog posts from my late-December solo trip:  Day 1, Day 2, Day 3
Paddling along the sill toward our takeout

40 comments:

  1. To have something like that practically out my backdoor would be heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice--every area has something wild to offer, except maybe Iowa which has almost all been tilled. But you're not far that far from the Ozarks, are you? Or the Sandhills of Nebraska.

      Delete
    2. Iowa has lots to do except if you like boating in untouched areas. There we are a bit short.

      Delete
  2. Yes, we were waiting for this post and it's great! I could almost be there paddling as well!

    Did you know that there's a song about the Okefenokee (Tangerine Dream, "3 A.M. at the Border of the Marsh From Okefenokee" from the Album Stratosfear (1976). Progressive rock, my brother has the album.

    Your dad looks cool in the pic. You look great too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I'll have to check out that song.

      Delete
    2. Here's the link to YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEgphCcN-ak
      (it's German prog rock, not for everybody)-

      Delete
  3. I always love looking at the pictures you share.

    You know, I live in Florida and have never seen Okefenokee Swamp or gone paddling...anywhere. Such a shame. I should do it one day just for the experience. I'd love to see those cypresses and all of the nature there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a lovely place to take the kayaks....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really nice deep inside the river where motors are prohibited!

      Delete
  5. Wow, this is the life, what a good way to celebrate Mother Earth day too. You are so lucky to have your father with you too, it brings tears of joy to my eyes! Thanks for sharing your adventure. My sons would be very jealous if I shared this with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad I didn't do anything outdoors on Earth Day :(

      Delete
  6. What a lovely trip, sage guy ... it'll be part of your life for ever ... thanks for sharing ... and uhm ... , i'm speechless, ya ... except, don't mind me asking: do these trips cum in the never-ending version as well ? .... smiles ... Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure what you mean by the never ending version--but I can assure you that I have lived as much of my life as possible outside!

      Delete
  7. Wow, sounds like you had quite the adventure. I loved all the pictures and that gator is huge. Can't imagine getting that close to a wild one like that. Must have got the heart beating for sure. Looks and sounds like you all had a good time though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first few times, they did get my heart racing but unless they are coming toward me or something, they don't bother me too much--but I love seeing them, they are so strong and noble

      Delete
  8. Sleeping with swamp rats around...yikes! Even in a hammock, I think I would have been freaked out in a major way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I would prefer the mice in the shelters and mountain cabins along the AT to the rats, but in the hammock, I'm safe and they'd want to stay inside because the owls were around and on swoop and they'd be dinner

      Delete
  9. These are some fantastic photos! And your account for the trip just wonderful! I felt as if I were there... with all the sensory details... and I'd really love to visit that swamp one day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to experience the swamp--it is an incredible place and there are a number additional areas I want to experience.

      Delete
  10. Wow, looked like a great trip! I love all the pictures but I have to say, I have never seen a "wonderful collection of mounted snakes". Eeeeekkkk! So glad you get to do some of these things, that I know you love! Say hi to your dad for me, when you talk to him next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did pretty good for somone who only took up kayaking two or three years ago... this was his first overnight trip.

      Delete
  11. Good to enjoy with family and friends. You're a brave pioneer, Sage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really brave, but I do enjoy the wilderness

      Delete
  12. Fun photos! Is your dad smoking a cigar while fishing? He looks like a laid back kinda fella. I'm amazed by all those butterflies. I wouldn't have known what they were had you not told us. Thanks for bringing us along on another adventure, Sage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he was smoking it yet, but he did light it later on, I'm sure. I wasn't able to get a good photo of the butterflies or dragonflies--mostly because a lot of these photos were taken with a point-in-shot waterproof camera that takes nice photos but isn't fast enough for such types of photography.

      Delete
  13. aah swamp rats! ha, but this sounds AMAZING and the pics are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rats only want your food--you must keep it away from them. This is an amazing place!

      Delete
  14. That's cool that your dad went with you! Those are all awesome pictures. The gators looked big - especially the one in the first picture. I can imagine what it sounded like with their bellowing mating calls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad only started kayaking a few years ago--he was the only one with a sit on top boat, but he doesn't like to be inside the others--and this was his first ever overnight in a kayak, but he had fun!

      Delete
  15. That's cool that your dad went with you! Those are all awesome pictures. The gators looked big - especially the one in the first picture. I can imagine what it sounded like with their bellowing mating calls.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome trip! Great pictures and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like an excellent trip. But not for me. It's one thing to be metaphorically bitten to death by flying elephants called midges, an all together different kettle when the wildlife are thinking "ahh yes, lunch on the hoof".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gators aren't aggressive and I think you'd have a great time! It is interesting that the gators allow for a much more healthy bird population (even though they eat birds that can't fly yet) because they keep the raccoon away from the nesting areas. They also keep the snake population on the river down.

      Delete
  18. That was an amazing adventure. I kept hearing Faulkner's prose while reading about the Okefenokee.That swamp was in my mind when I wrote middle grade book Alligators Overhead, too. Definitely not Faulknerish, but fun. Thanks for the visit to my blog today.
    http://www.cleemckenziebooks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed reading about your experiences in Burma. BTW, I am a McKenzie (3 great-grandparents on both sides of the family were McKenzies)

      Delete
  19. Excellent. Your father looks regal (sorry, there's only one way of describing him). in that kayak. Great adventure. Thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete