Monday, February 25, 2019

I'm still on the water

I thought I would drop a quick post to let people know I'm still around. Today, you will find me mostly posting at "www.thepulpitandthepen.com".  I invite you to join me there.

Can you tell there is land a few hundred feet away?
And, just in case you are wondering, I'm still spending time on the water. This past wee, it was pretty foggy here in coastal Georgia, but it didn't stop me from paddling out to Little Tybee Island (about 8 miles from where I launched at Landings Harbor Marina). You couldn't even see across the Wilmington River, which may be a 1/4 of a mile wide. I had to do my navigating by compass. It was a little scary crossing the Wassaw Sound and I wouldn't want to be miss the island, for the next land would be Bermuda or Europe.
Another 24 waiting for the start of the race

On Saturday, we were racing with the Savannah Yacht Club. It was foggy but with wind, which made it a challenging sail. We were the third J24 to finish (out of six) and forth overall (but when they adjust the time, we might move up a notch, for the top boat was a J109, which  has a higher rating and while they won the race, we were only 2 minutes behind them (and there were two closer J24s to them). Two weeks earlier, when we had really high winds, that boat blew us all out of the water. With winds in the low teens, we were able to stay close to her.

Remember, check out my other blog, "thepulpitandthepen.com" 

28 comments:

  1. Fog is hard to steer in, no matter the vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to spend a day/evening on a small uninhabited island socked in by fog, but I would definitely like to be able to see it as I paddled across eight miles to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done a lot of SCUBA diving expeditions in foggy weather on the Great Lakes. Couldn't see much above or below the water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you posted here again, friend Jeff … Looked at your other blog, but it won't let me comment. Inviting you to follow my travel blog if you like. http://ckpeacemaker.wordpress.com/ … Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, friend Sage. I just attempted commenting on your other blog agin and it let me :) Love, cat.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sage - just glad you're enjoying the water when you can ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'd be a little nervous knowing if I missed the island I wouldn't see land for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pictures evoke such chilly and exciting sailing. I love being on the water; it gives a person such a different perspective. Sounds like you're keeping busy in the sailing department.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice to know that you are still on the water, Sage! I have relatives and friends who like to race in sailboats in Nova Scotia. Obviously you navigated successfully by compass. Good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I'd be more than a little nervous crossing to an island that I couldn't see. Glad to hear you made it safely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was expecting a big fog here this morning because it was foggy yesterday evening on the Causeway. But it was clear here today, and very hot

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, to be that confident with a compass.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting world, that of the water. I'm trying to put myself there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Im happy to see you still are on the water. I dont know I thought maybe nope. But I know you love it so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your sailing adventures always look so exciting. I'm off to sail--not on my own as you do, but with someone who knows what they're doing. What advice do you have for a non-sailor on a sailboat? Like, don't fall overboard.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting to read your post about water, wind and sea foggy....wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am impressed that you are so brave to pursue your passion :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good morning! I truly enjoy your uplifting and interesting posts, you were born to be on the water for a good part of your life, and we're thankful with your posts. Also thank you for always checking in I really enjoy your visits. And that sweet pup found his owners thanks to a chip! Thank goodness to the folks responsible for making that. It truly is a lifesaver over and over!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello! You seem to be having such a great time! What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, my, I would not like to risk missing that spot either! not surprised you were a bit nervous....!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done, dear Jeff. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd be so scared. You're a brave man, Captain Sage.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stopping by to say HI, friend Jeff. Stay safe, eh? Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete