Monday, August 28, 2017

Trail Report from August 13: White Pine Nature Preserve



White Pines
I spent a week in the Sandhills of North Carolina planning my upcoming year.  Several evenings I took off for a little hiking.  One of these evenings was the White Pines Nature Preserve which sits at the confluence of the Rocky and Deep River, between Sanford and Pittsboro in Chatham County.  This is a unique 275 acres with a micro-climate that allows species of trees and plants that have long been extinct in other parts of the Piedmont of North Carolina to survive.  The merger of the two rivers and the northern slopes of the ridges provide a cooling effect which I immediately felt when I stepped out of my car.  It was around 5:30 pm, at the end of a hot and humid day.  Although it felt cooler, it was still hot.  Here’s my report.







I set off down the White Pines trail, which followed the ridge between the two rivers.  I was curious about seeing a white pine, a tree that I knew well in Michigan and are only seen in mountainous areas in the South. A few hundred yards into my hike, I spotted my first white pine.  The canopy along the top of the ridge is think, shading me for the sun and not allowing a lot of undergrowth.



 

In this land of long lead pines, the white pine stand out nicely.  Shortly after seeing the first white pine, I come upon two hikers heading out.  As there are two other cars in the parking lot, I assume I’ll soon be alone in the woods.   The trail loses elevation as the ridge dripped down toward the confluence. There’s a nice breeze but I still sweat from the humidity. I take the River Trail, which drops off the ridge to the south, toward the Deep River.  This is the lee side of the ridge and I no longer enjoy a cooling breeze. Coming alongside the river, the undergrowth is thick.  I slap at a mosquito on the back of my neck as I am serenaded by a choir of insects singing their evening vespers. The trail parallels the river, a good ten or so feet above the water.  There are a few places it would be easy to reach the water, which are probably used by fishermen, but most of the trail is separated from the water by a steep bank and a plenty of poison ivy. 
Deep River

Bench at Confluence
I pause at the confluence of the two rivers.  Someone had built a nice log bench to site and enjoy, but the mosquitoes are bad enough that I decide to keep walking, heading up the Rocky River.  In my youth, I paddled both of these rivers, but never had made it down this far, ending both trips at the 15-501 bridges.  The Rocky River, if I remember correctly, was only runnable at high water and we ran it when the Haw River was well above flood stage and too danger to paddle in an open canoe. 




Rocky River
The River Trail turns away from the Rocky and climbs the hill where I joins the White Pine Trail.  Climbing the north side of the ridge, I notice more white pines along with maples, oaks, beech, American holly, hackberry, popular and even a cherry.  The sun is dropping in the west and its rays come in at a low angle providing wonderful light.  I take the White Pine Trail to the cut-off for the Gilbert Yager Trail, which leaves the ridge and funs along the flank of the ridge, cutting in and out of hollows that drain down to the Deep River.  I spook up a couple of deer who run up the hills without pause.  The trail is about a mile in length and drops me back at the far end of the parking lot.  It’s almost 7:30.  Time to find some dinner and prepare for a good night’s rest.  Later that night, I would find two hitch-hikers from my travels (ticks) which I promptly dispatched down the drain.  Thankfully, they hadn't yet dug into my skin.  

16 comments:

  1. What an adventure that must have been, being one with nature. The photos are lovely indeed, nice of you to share. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is some lovely scenery in that part of the country. I wouldn't have been a fan of the mosquitoes, but sounds like you had a nice hike and enjoyed being out in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The views on your hike are beautiful - I especially like the Deep River shot.

    We have many pines, but no white pines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful part of our country I've yet to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have all sorts of evergreens here, right in my yard, but a hackberry is something new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to go there, walk through it, and take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful hike--I envy you. I enjoyed reading the descriptions, and I can imagine the stories the pictures weave in your writerly head. :-)Glad I came across your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, beautiful. Would love to get out and walk there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful hike, but I'll pass on the mosquitoes and ticks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm curious as to how tall your white pines grow. We have the Monterey pines and they tower up to 200ft. Short lived, however.
    Your hike make me want to be outside instead of sitting at this computer. Tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. During my National Guard summer camps I was always able to pick up several unwanted small arachnids. Could have been worse, at least I never had a real issue with a snake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photographs are lovely to see, and you do seem to have thoroughly enjoyed your hike. Although it's great to be out and about and enjoy nature I'm not too sure if I'd have liked the mosquitoes!

    My good wishes for the coming week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yuck on the ticks but the pictures are great. I loved going hiking in the woods when I lived near some.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you take time like that to plan your year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ticks suck, but it sounds like a great place to hike.
    I used to try and plan out my time, but never thought of doing like that. Maybe I will though! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We sure do have beautiful areas to explore! And of course bring the camera to keep the images clear through the long cold winters for us up here!

    ReplyDelete