Friday, February 05, 2016

An Ode to My Backpack

A week before I was injured, I realized my backpacks, which were stored on shelving in the garage, were mildewing.  I decided to make room in the top of a closet to store them where it would be drier, but first the needed a bath.  Upon cleaning up my old Kelty D4 and why it was drying in the sun, I did a little reminiscing.  

My first backpack was a Kilimanjaro that I purchased at a department store.  With an exotic name like that, I expected more.  I took it on a couple of backpacking trips and the contraption nearly killed me.  On the last trip, a freezing two-night trek on the Uwharrie Trail in early January 1976, which the nightly temperature dropped to zero, the cold didn’t compare to the anguish that came from the pack.  It didn’t come with a waist belt and my makeshift one didn’t work well and the shoulder straps pulled tight and dug into my shoulders.  It was misery.  I’m amazed that I continued to hike.

Kelty D4
Notice reserve pins hanging
and the 2000 miler AT patch
Shortly afterwards that fateful trip, I brought a Kelty D4 pack from REI.  For the next twenty-five years it would be my main overnight backpack and it is still in remarkably good condition.  I have replaced the shoulder straps a couple of times and am now on my third waistbelt (the original one was eaten by a conveyor at an airport and the second one wasn’t a Kelty and didn’t last).  Even when I changed the waist belts, I kept the old stainless  steel cam lock on the waist belt which is one of the best buckles ever made (a  lot better than the plastic ones that seem to break when it most inconvenient).   I also added an extension bar to the pack which can be extended six inches and allows one to carry a lot of extra material.  This bar enabled me to use this pack on extended backpacking trips along the Appalachian and John Muir trails.  I later purchased a Kelty internal frame pack that was set up for skiing and snowshoeing and held about 3000 cubic inches.  It was a great pack for heading into the backcountry, but also for one and two night backpacking trips and was the pack I took around the world.  I have also used a larger a large internal frame Kelty Redcloud 5400 for backpacking, but it hauls more than I need.  My favorite pack is still the old D4. 


I wonder how many miles this pack has hauled whatever I need on my back.  It has been the full length of the Appalachian Trail (and a few sections we’d done more than once).  It has also hiked the John Muir Trail, Laurel Highlands Trail, Ruby Crest Trail and did miles on a number of other trails in places including Bryce Canon, Zion Canyon, the Grand Canyon, Point Reyes National Seashore, Great Basin National Park, along with the the Sawtooth and Beartooth Mountains.  This pack and I have done well over 3000 miles together.  God-willing, I’ll put some more miles on this pack before I’m done with it.  

42 comments:

  1. That is truly amazing, Sage. What a wonderful life you've led! I have hiked a few paths in Bryce and Zion, nothing major, and walked the path along the Grand Canyon three times. Most of my major hikes have been in the Cuyahoga Valley NP in my backyard.

    Here's to good health and many more miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Laurel Highlands isn't that far and I just remembered another hike in NW Pennsylvania, a place called the Grand Canyon of the East... Did you hike down into the river at the Grand Canyon?

      Delete
    2. No, that wasn't happening with three kids!

      Delete
  2. Sage, your enjoyable and informative prose-Ode to backpacks is precisely the kind of curative memoir your leg needs for accelerated healing right now --and, as a member of your readership, I appreciate it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you, I hope it will accelerate healing!

      Delete
    2. I agree, this is more prose than a true ode, but I was wondering what to call it.

      Delete
  3. That one isn't much better. I had one of those framed ones and as soon as I could I went for the newer ones with the back molding. I remember that 4 inches of lowerback webbing turning that area to sandpaper.
    Granted none of them are exactly nice, but some are better than others. And it's sure no gurantee buying an ex army one. Using the assumption that people who do this professinally might know their stuff. Nor are the assurances of some guy who climbed K2, for tiz likely he got dosh for his next trip to say the Patagonia 24-7 is a blooming delight :-). The very best backpack is the one you toss into a car boot and drive :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Toss into the boot?" (that's the trunk for my American readers) Vince, you heretic!

      Actually, I find the external frame like the D4 best for hot and humid conditions cause the backcloth isn't up next to your skin and there is some room for air. The internal frame ones are better for stability and rock scrambling.

      Delete
    2. (Chuckle); Perhaps apostate, since I was a schlepper of huge packs but now no longer do so.

      Delete
  4. I backpacked through Europe in my younger days but haven't touched one since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read your recent piece about your dad (and granddad). Powerful storytelling! You'll have to write about your trip through Europe

      Delete
  5. A waistband is a must for a good hiking backpack. I hate uncomfortable shoulder straps. Nothing is more annoying.

    I've only hiked in my "backyard" in FL. Nothing special. Hiking the Grand Canyon is my dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, instead of being on your waist, it's purpose is to put the weight of the pack on your hips and take the weight off your shoulders. The lesser used trails to the Colorado on the Grand Canyon are incredible--I have blogged about one such trip.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. But also over a lot of years with nearly 1/2 of it in one summer.

      Delete
  7. Brilliant post. I love the way you have humanised your rucksacks! :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they've been on your back that many miles, you become attached ;)

      Delete
  8. Sage: REI has fantastic products. You are to hiking and kayaking what Eddie Van Halen is to rock n' roll! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Michael, that's quite a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would definitely come to you for advice on backpacks. I've never really hiked enough to use one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful tribute! I have a well loved and well traveled backpack, too. Bought it in Yokohama 18 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost brought a new back when in Korea in 2000, but it was going to mean ditching my 3000 cubic inch Kelty and I decided against it.

      Delete
  12. Somehow I seem to be collecting backpacks, and to be frank I'm not really sure how I ended up with three of them. Two are the type used for travel, and two others I use for hiking. I guess I should get rid of a couple but somehow I never do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few other knapsacks, for day trips (and my briefcase/computer bag is a backpack, too)

      Delete
  13. Great idea for a blog post! I love reading about items that people have kept and used for years and taken on adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's been a few adventures with these packs!

      Delete
  14. I still have my Kelty D4 and it is the only backpack I have ever used other than a light daytrip pack. I like the flexibility of being able to strap just about anything to the outside of the back as needed and like that the frame keeps it separated from my body to allow my back to breath in all temperature ranges. I think I have gone through three waist belts and am on my second or third set of shoulder belts. The one mistake I made is that I no longer have the original metal buckle and just have the plastic ones. I don't know what I was thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know that you still have your D4! I do have several day packs, but I was just writing about backpacks. Another thing I did to mine was sew a couple of tabs on top and under the fly where I could put webbing to hold on things. I ended up using the ones under the tab to hole Sierra Cups, but the top one was handy for lightweight stuff.

      Delete
  15. It's lovely when something is a perfect travel companion like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You need to keep these old friends as reminders of all those fabulous hikes. I've always had it in mind to do the Appalachian trail. Guess I'd better hop to it before my legs have different ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you should do it. I haven't done much hiking in the last twelve years, since leaving the west I've only done two decent backpack trips (Isle Royale National Park and the Porcupine Mountains, both in Michigan)

      Delete
  17. Interesting. I've never really thought about the quality of backpacks before. If I hiked and traveled extensively, I would invest in ones that would last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their quality becomes more important the further you travel from civilization!

      Delete
  18. Your backpacks would have some stories to tell if they could talk!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sure that you and that pack have a lot of hiking still to do.
    All of my backpacking equipment was stolen out of my vehicle a couple of years ago. If I replace it all, I think I'm going ultra-light. However, I'm still not sure if I will replace it. I've spent a good portion of my life sleeping on the ground and had no problems at all. These days, my back doesn't seem to like it all. We shall see...

    ReplyDelete
  20. While REI is pricey, it's worth it. They have the high-end stuff and adventurer like you needs.
    Be well, Sage.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, 3,000 miles of hiking, that's impressive! Equipment is important when you do that much traveling. Sounds like you have found what works best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Backpacks and purses have a lot of things in common (for girls anyway) hehehe. now if backpacks could only talk right?! What a wonderful tribute you've shared with us, I enjoyed every bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I used to hike small portions of the Appalachian trail when I lived in Roanoke Virginia and am very impressed that you hiked all of it! I was surprised how much a good backpack costs, but realized quickly how much of a difference a good one can make on a long hike!

    ReplyDelete