Monday, July 06, 2015

Lunch on Staten Island

The Statue of Liberty
(of course, I really had my eye on the ship under sail)
This is another post from my New York City trip.  I have a couple more post to write, but I feel as if I'm running out of steam.  There is so much that I haven't covered:  two days in museums, a Broadway musical, eating, and an evening with the philharmonic...  

On the local front, things are getting back to normal.  It was a rainy fourth.  There were able to get the fireworks off between storms, but unfortunately the show fizzled.  It was supposed to be 17 minutes long and ended up being less than 10 minutes in length.  I image the rain had something to do with it. I sailed yesterday.  We got in three races and my boat did okay with one second and two thirds.  In our last race, we were watching lightning strikes on the mainland as we sailed downwind.  We rushed to get the boats into the marina, but the storm seemed to dissipate.  But an hour later, another storm struck but by then I was home and taking a nap before watching the World's Cup.  


Brooklyn from the Staten Island Ferry
Panorama shot of ferry
from lunch site
If you go to New York, the Staten Island Ferry is a must!  The ferry is free and from it you can feast your eyes on wonderful views of the New York from the water.  For the ride over, I hung out on the port side and had a great view of Brooklyn.  Looking back, I could see the financial district in lower Manhattan and ahead the V Narrow's bridge that links Brooklyn to Staten Island.  It was a pleasant ride with enough wind to keep me cool on a warm day.  After arriving on Staten Island, we enjoyed a late lunch outside on a patio that overlooked the harbor and Manhattan in the distance.  Staten Island is mostly residential.  I had been interested in seeing the National Lighthouse Museum, but it was closed on Monday, the day we were on the island.  We asked a local police officer what to see or do and his best suggestion was a huge mall across the island on the subway. I hadn't traveled this far to shop, so we took the ferry back across the water and then the subway to Brooklyn and spent the rest of the afternoon walking across the Brooklyn Bridge.  On the trip back, I stayed on the port side (left) and was treated with views of the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Newark as well as watch sailboats gracefully sail in the harbor.  The ferry ride to Staten Island makes my "must do" list for NYC.
Manhattan from Staten Island
Have you ever been to Staten Island?  What do you  think about the USA Women's Soccer Team?

23 comments:

  1. I don't think I was on the Staten Island Ferry but Ellis Island was one of our favorite destinations and going up inside the Statue of Liberty was really cool. Congrats on your sailing adventures. I barely slept last night after that awesome World cup win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a rainy fourth here in Florida too. A boat race sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did the Ferry while we lived there. It is a lot of fun and you can't beat the price. Your top photo is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were really busy in New york!
    I love this ship:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been all over, but I've never been to New York long enough to actually DO anything. Does the airport count??

    This looks like a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my many visits to NYC and in close proximity, I have never watched the fireworks there. Once, my son and I went to the City thinking everyone would be home barbequing. I was flabbergasted by the crowds. I was tempted to stay for the fireworks but the crowds covered blocks. Always a wonderful adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never been to NYC but my daughter was part of a class trip there back in April. She loved the city but didn't like the other girls she had to room with while up there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only taken the cruise to Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had such a marvelous trip! I've only ever seen the Statue of Liberty from a distance - once from a plane arriving in Newark and the second time from the top of the Empire State Building. I've never take the Staten Island Ferry - would sure like to.

    I think the USA women's soccer team rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would rate the boat to Liberty Island and particularly Ellis Island among the most interesting things we did in NYC. Ellis Island presents some heart-rending stories. The Met and Guggenheim were excellent ... and the view from the Empire State. It was bitterly cold on my trip (Jan), with snowflakes falling on 'Lady Liberty'. Have yet to do the Staten Island ferry ... Perhaps one day ... along with Poets' House.

    ReplyDelete
  12. free ferry? definitely sounds like a must!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely to see the Ketch and the Lady in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never been there but it sounds like a fun time. I've been to NY and NJ once with my hubby to visit his family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have not been to Stanton Island. It looks like you saw a lot of great things on your visit to New York!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I went on the ferry last summer. I didn't have time on my last trip, though. I'd like to visit Staten Island and the Statue of Liberty again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did the Staten Island Ferry in October 2000. We had a picture of us with the twin towers in the background. We actually were in one of the buildings, looking for theater tickets, on that trip. I remember walking around and being amazed that they had shops in there! That was the first time I'd seen an office building with what looked like a mall in the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh I LOVE the ferry! It's been ages since I've done it though. And I must be the only one who didn't watch the soccer game but I'm thrilled the U.S.A women's team won! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for all the comments. I really wished we had a chance to get back across the ferry again in the evening and eat on Staten Island, watching the city in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved it on my one trip to NYC. I feel like it's a definite 'must do.'

    Sounds like you had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We took the Staten Island Ferry but didn't stay, just rode it back. Also watched the fireworks on the Fourth the year I was there, from Battery Park. But then as we were turning to leave, another fireworks show started, so I was never 100% sure we were at the right place. 95% sure, maybe.

    Loved the soccer match!

    Looking forward to your NYC food post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Indeed what a most perfect day to journey for lunch!

    ReplyDelete