Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Lingering into winter

All ready for Christmas
Fall has been lingering around here.  Every so often, since back in October, I’d spot a glimpse of autumn.  First it was the dogwoods, they've been bare at least two months.  Then, in early November, the Sweet Gums began to change color.  They seem to be a multitude of colors, from yellows to reds.  It seems the water oaks have been changing for months now, but many of the trees are still green.  They are a mystery to me.  The highlight, however, are the hickories which are a brilliant yellow.  In the early morning, with a bit of fog and the sun burning through on it, the hickories are stunning (and I need to get a photo of this!).   Of course, most of the trees such as the pines, live oaks, magnolias, American holly and palms, remain green all year.  And then there is the Spanish moss that is always gray.    According to the clock, fall is about to run out as winter moves in next week and I am still wearing shorts and, at the most, a light coat.  If the trees are an indicator of a bad winter, we’re in for a whopper, for the live oaks have produced a bountiful harvest of acorns.  There have been times it sounds like I am driving on plastic packaging wrap, the kind that has the air pockets that pop, when driving out the driveway or pulling into a parking lot shaded with oaks.  What would a bad winter feel like here?  The lights remind me that Christmas is around the corner, but it still doesn’t quite feel like it is time…   Even in what they consider hard winters around here, there is seldom snow.  No white Christmas this year, but still the season is one of joy and excitement and I am looking forward to celebrating.  
A recent foggy morning

16 comments:

  1. Here in Florida, we didn't have a fall. We went straight from summer to winter...with a few summery days in between. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. when i lived in florida it was hard to feel like christmas....
    they say it might snow here in va this weekend...that would be cool
    def get us in the holiday spirit....

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've got lingering summer if anything. Of course, we have relatively little fall. This year we did have some frosts early so got more leave change than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I'd have too much trouble trying to get used to that kind of a winter. That foggy morning photo is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sage, your photos are beautiful and this post beautifully written. Excellence should be rewarded, so I thought I should say something. Well done, you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful fog. Weather is strange everywhere. Sunny in London today. Just saying hello and happy Christmas. Keep in touch, sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading this I was having a hard time believing that Michigan was having that mild of a winter. About the last few sentences it hit me that you aren't in Michigan anymore!

    We had the fourth coldest November on record but so far December has been about normal for us. Once we get through the first of the year and all the festivities in between, I am going to spend the rest of winter, however it comes, hunkered down in front of the fireplace with good books by my side. That is my favorite time of the season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very different surroundings for your family this year. I hop that you have a wonderful holiday in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful welcome to your lovely place. You should know by my past comments how exciting it is for me to share in your new adventures there. Of course you won't have the winter that we're sort of having, have had and will be strongly having again, but still it's your winter there, and please do keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your first Christmas in your new home is a nice one! That is a great description of the acorns too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish winter would hold off a little longer here. It's cold!!! And I don't get my new coat until we open our Christmas presents...so I'm hobbling along with the choice of my old leather coat or a huge fake fur coat I have that makes me feel like I'm wearing a bear!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Winters are pretty mellow down here in Georgia. But if we get snow - even an inch- it's a disaster. Georgia just doesn't have the equipment to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How far south are you now? I hard winter here might mean we get 2 or 3 hard freezes (temps below freezing long enough to burst unprotected pipes.)

    I'm getting better at identifying birds, but I'm nowhere near the level of walking encyclopedias like some of the amazing birders I've met.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jeff how have you been doing? I take this opportunity to wish you a blessed Christmas and a wonderful happy new year 2015. May God bless you and your flocks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That foggy morning shot is breathtaking - you live in an enchanted place! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete