Saturday, June 14, 2014

Rolling a kayak

Where's Sage?  He's underwater!  What's he doing there?
Sage rolling a kayak near a boat launch (the boat behind me was waiting to take out)
 A few weeks ago, when I paddled the stretch of the Thornapple that ends at Thornapple Lake, I decided the water had warmed enough for me to attempt to roll my kayak.  I took my shirt off and handed my camera to my friend, Jerry, and found a place where there were no weeds and over I went.  I was like riding a bike as my paddle moved into position (an upside down high brace) as I pushed my knees into the deck of the boat and swung my hips and the boat popped back up.  Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did it another few times.  It was just like riding a bike!

Coming back up
When I was in college, I used to paddle a lot of white water in kayaks and rolling was a necessity.  Glad I can still do it as it is also a good way too cool off on a hot day.

17 comments:

  1. Wouldn't the R's, K's and G's give you a good grip with the paddle. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you changed it. I thought 'write' water was a truly surreal idea with a swirl of letters and words and phrases replacing the liquid.

      Delete
    2. It was a mind confusing typing error, but glad it gave you some interesing thoughts!

      Delete
  2. I think I'd be a little scared to do it. Training, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So delightful! WooHoo! You look to be having the time of your life, I just adore this pose! Save it in an 8 x 10 and put it somewhere that you'll see all winter long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha. you had back up in case you got stuck down there right? smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The water was a little over a meter deep--I could have pushed off the bottom with the paddle if I couldn't roll it back up--but after a few rolls I was comfortable in doing it in deeper water. I should say a few things about learning to roll. First thing you learn is to crawl out of the boat if you can't pop it back upright. Secondly, you learn with someone standing by you that can pull you up and help you learn to position your paddle, etc. I learned to roll a kayak when I was 19, but it has been decades since I've performed the feat. I'm glad that it came back to me so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd say that is a pretty important skill to have. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad that you had not forgotten how to do it, and that you had a friend there in case of a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto the learning to get out of the boat first upside down. I once loaned my kayak to a friend who immediately tipped it over by accident. He was lifting the entire boat out of the water trying to get out of the thing and about drowned before I swam out to rescue him. After that, I never loaned my boat until the person could successfully exit it in my presence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun! :-) Altough I wouldn't attempt to do it myself.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  10. See - that's why I don't want to kayak! Yikes. But you make it look easy and fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool is rolling a Kayak like rolling a spliff?

    jeff if you read this before you get to Detroit, i have avery pregnant DiL and a son on business in China. The wife is his stand in, just in case. next time bro.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just went kayaking on Lake Tellico in Louden, Tennessee. It was a lot of fun, but there's no way I'd ever attempt to roll a kayak!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is fascinating, Sage! I've only read about this process in books. But your pictures are captivating!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you love nature, Sage :-)
    And I'm really excited for you, Savannah is such a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete